What size tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getpitted4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just joined this forum and I am a newbie. I have done hours or research on freshwater aquariums along with aquascaping. I am starting from the bottom and am asking what size tank I should start with? I read that a bit bigger is actually a good thing. A near by store is selling a 20g starter kit for $75 is that good considering it's including light heater filter and the tank? I plan on using real plants an having a small variety of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First of all, welcome! This forum is an amazing place! You learn so much here from everyone!

I was actually just reading an article saying that the best beginner sized tank is 20 and that deal for the fish tank sounds pretty good depending on the quality of the heater, light, etc.

First of all, welcome! This forum is an amazing place! You learn so much here from everyone!

I was actually just reading an article saying that the best beginner sized tank is 20 and that deal for the fish tank sounds pretty good depending on the quality of the heater, light, etc.

Thanks for the help and I'm not 100% on the name which I should know. I spoke to a person there and they said they started with the same kit and did very well. I would like to upgrade my light to a finnex as soon as possible too. I also have no problem making other upgrades as I go; like the heater , filter etc.

In general, the bigger the better. Go for a tank size you like because most of us end up upgrading soon anyways. :)

I would suggest a 40 breeder or 75g if funds allow.

Any idea on what fish you might want to keep? I would even go bigger than a 20 if possible. Most starter freshwater species like tetras and cories are shoaling fish and need to be in groups which would merit more space. Livebearers like swordtails or guppies you can keep singly or in groups. The direction you're thinking of going in will help us help you :)

Wonderful price! Great starter as well. Your main cost will come with equipment. But for what you're doing 20 is perfect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any idea on what fish you might want to keep? I would even go bigger than a 20 if possible. Most starter freshwater species like tetras and cories are shoaling fish and need to be in groups which would merit more space. Livebearers like swordtails or guppies you can keep singly or in groups. The direction you're thinking of going in will help us help you :)

I'm not totally sure. I don't need a lot of fish regardless of the size. I was thinking some unique fish would be cool. I am kinda into the red finned shark. I was told if introduced with a community fish there shouldn't be any problems with the shark. I'm kinda starting from the bottom and working up so fish wasn't really a big thought but I guess it should be.

Red tail sharks can get around 6" and typically a 55 gallon is the smallest tank recommendation for them...so maybe go bigger! In all seriousness it stinks to set up a tank, find fish you really like, and then realize your environment isn't appropriate for them. So maybe do some research and plug some stock lists into aqadvisor to help get an idea of what size tank you may want.
Good luck!

A 20g is a good starter size. It's true that bigger is better but it can be a bit overwhelming for a first time fish keeper to go big. Hone your skills and understanding of keeping fish and if the bug bites then you'll know what to move on to.
When buying a complete set, up as a kit, you should be aware that the equipment is not really the best on the market but it does the job. If and when you upsize you will have learnt what you want from the equipment and will be able to build your own system.
I've been fish keeping for over thirty years and the fascination has never gone away. Enjoy your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom