What Substrate do you guys recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animaux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning to purchase a 10 or 20 gallon fish tank for a community aquarium, and I'm wondering what you guys recommend as a substrate. Also, I plan the tank to be lightly planted. Thanks. :)

(out of topic: first thread)

First, a few questions before you cough up the bucks for substrate.

What kind of community fish? And when you say "lightly planted" do you mean a few low light requirement plants? Or what do you have in mind?

Sorry, but these are super-important that need to be answered before you actually buy something. :)

Also, don't be surprised if a moderator moves the thread.

Last edited:
mudraker said:
First, a few questions before you cough up the bucks for substrate.

What kind of community fish? And when you say "lightly planted" do you mean a few low light requirement plants? Or what do you have in mind?

Sorry, but these are super-important that need to be answered before you actually buy something. :)

Also, don't be surprised if a moderator moves the thread.

Thanks for the reply :)
I'm planning to put a dwarf gourami for sure, a few sword tails, and zebra danios. I don't have lots of stocking ideas yet. Oh and lightly planted, like a few hardy plants. Sorry if that was a bit confusing.

I recommend CaribSea Eco-Complete Substrate for planted tanks. Supposed to be one of the best substrates for plants. They sell 20 pound bags on amazon for about 24 dollars, free shipping, no tax.

I used pool filter sand in my recent 55 gallon setup and like it so much I'll probably never use anything else again. It looks great and at $8 for 50lbs its cheap.

Copious said:
Thanks for the reply :)
I'm planning to put a dwarf gourami for sure, a few sword tails, and zebra danios. I don't have lots of stocking ideas yet. Oh and lightly planted, like a few hardy plants. Sorry if that was a bit confusing.

The swordtails are too big and danios too active
I reccomend black diamond blasting sand or PFS

Back
Top Bottom