What type of fish can live in a 1 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMN

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a one gallon tank no filter or heater bc of the size. Was wondering what type of fish or fishes can live in there?

CMN said:
Not even betas?

They need 2.5 at the very least. Preferabley 5. A betta in a 1 gallon tank is terrible, you dont get any personality

See I had a bettal live for a while. I would think it would be better than a cup they sit in the pet store?

i had a betta in a 1 gal tank with a filter and heater for about a month and then he went stir crazy until i got the 5 gal i have now.... He shows off his fins and has seem to have grown twice his size and flourished in his new space... he interacts more and overall seems to be healthier and better... a betta in a tank with no heater or filter is one unhappy fish that can succumb to illness and they arent as vibrant or nearly as active and healthy and alive as they should be...

See I had a bettal live for a while. I would think it would be better than a cup they sit in the pet store?

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it..... a 1 gallon with no heater and no filter isn't fair for any fish that I know, certainly not a betta.

Ok so what are my options for snails. Are there different kinds I can choose from?

I wouldn't recommend mystery snails, mine are the size of golf balls. The mystery ended up that they are apple snails. :D

Shrimp don't need heaters. Both neocaridina and caridina species are totally fine in upper 60s-70s temps. I've always kept bettas at room temp also, but it's pretty warm in the room as well, keeping the tank in the low to mid 70s.

Bettas really need more than a gallon, though. I'd go with inverts personally.

Please don't get a Betta. That's just cruel. Shrimp will be a perfect fit.
CMN said:
Better, yes. Ideal, far from it.

Last edited:
I don't understand the whole thing behind mystery snails? What are they? Do people not know what they are until the get bigger?

Okay I won't get a betta I didn't know. Again I'm new at this! I have had snails before but never knew what type they were they didn't lay eggs like the apple ones but instead they laid a jelly type sack?

I have a 10 gallon tank with baby mollies they are 1 mouth old today would the mystery snail hurt the babies?

CMN said:
I have a 10 gallon tank with baby mollies they are 1 mouth old today would the mystery snail hurt the babies?

What until your tank is fully cycled before you add anything else including snails. After its complete then it would be ok to add one IMO.

Back
Top Bottom