Whats your thoughts on 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 5 gallon tank that I would like to set up! Should I stock it with a pea puffer or more than one pea puffer???
Or I could also do shrimp, like red cherry shrimp?
What filter, heater and light for plants.
I want to have plants that will look good. Maybe something carpeting, and some tall background plants or something. Tell me your ideas what would you do???

I think 1 Pea Puffer/ Dwarf Puffer would be good. I think Puffers are iffy with shrimp. Filter could be whatever is rated for a 5g. I have Aqua-Tech 5-15 on my 5g. Heater I have a cheap pre-set one from Wally World. Lights would have to be pretty strong if you want a carpeting plant. If you forget the carpeting plant, you could use a standard hood with a CFL spiral bulb.

It will likely eat the shrimp. So, if you want them alive then I don't suggest keeping them with the puffer.
You could try a pair if you wanted, but make sure the tank is super-well planted. Even then, it may not work. But, it could.

Yeah, make sure you have the tank planted VERY well. Puffers are very curious and need lots of stimuli in their environment.

The hood that came with my tank says use only 1 15w bulb, will that work. Will it grow any plants?
I also have a 2.5 gallon tank maybe for shrimp, in the future! So the 5 gallon what gender combination should I use for 2 puffers???

From what I have read, really a single DP would be optimal. 2 Might work, but really a single one is what most places recommend. The fixture is perfectly fine for that tank. Just go and pick up a 13W (60W replacement) Spiral Compact Fluorescent Bulb at Walmart/Lowe's/Home Depot. Make sure it is listed with a rating between 5,000K and 10,000K often called "Daylight".

I agree about both the light and about 1 pff being optimal. If you want to try 2, it seems that a m/f would be your best bet.

Something that is very important to keep in mind with puffers is they are pretty messy. In puffer tanks, even the diminutive Dwarf Puffer, over filtration, lower stocking level, plants, and larger than normal PWC's (50%+ per week) are needed to stay on top of water quality.

Would the 13w cfl fit in the hood that came with the tank? What plants can that bulb grow? I will go with 1 puffer

Yes, the CFL has the exact same base as an incandescent, which I am assuming that is what the hood is made for. The 13W will grow Low - Med light plants. Don't go with anything that is High, but I have grown Wisteria, Rotala, Anacharis, Hornwort, baby Amazon Swords, and many other plants under thish light.

FreshwaterTropical said:
Would the 13w cfl fit in the hood that came with the tank? What plants can that bulb grow? I will go with 1 puffer

If the actual spiral part is too big, they make one that called "mini" spiral. It's the same wattage and base, but the spirals are a little smaller and tighter together.

Ok cool, I will buy a light this weekend. I already have a filter. It is actually a aqua tech 5-15. I will get more supplies when my coupons for my LFS start on the 20th!

I bought these plants today. I'm planning to get a light bulb tomorrow. And hopefully my LFS will have tiger lotus plants!

-echinodorus uruguayensis "uruguayensis swords"
-Cabomba pulcherrima "Purple Cabomba"
-Banana Plant "nymphoides aquatica"
-Vallisneria asiatica "Corkscrew Val"
-Anubias barteri var. 'broad leaf' "Broad Leaf Barteri"
-Microsorum pteropus "Java Fern"

Back
Top Bottom