Yes. Again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So instead of trying out SW (too mind boggling for me!), i got another fw tank, 29er, yesterday. Woot. Now as this is my like tenth aquarium (counting betta and micro aquariums) id like this one to "wow" the world. No definite stocking yet but for sure with sand and plants. Any advice on fertilizer? I have some api root tabs from ages ago, and can make a diy co2 system alright but im still not sure. Isnt there something about potting soil beneath the sand or somethin g? Ive never really planted, its mainly just been rocks and java moss... i still need a stand which has been tough for me in the past. Advice?

In a 29, a stock that would be cool is

6 rumynose tetras
6 sterbi Cory catfish
6 marbled hatched fish
2 electric blue rams
1 bn Pleco

Not sure if its wow! But looks nice. For aqua scraping you can try using a cool dw piece with moss ontop, like a tree. With some Anubis around it and dwarf hair grassland some guppy grass, then leave a small bit open for a different color substrate (white to black as example) and no plants, like jungle to dessert

Just got back from buying some of that orangish sand from petco. Still need that stand! Funds are a little low now so it might be awhile before this thread and the tank really kicks in. Thing is i also want something of that effect Charlie. The orange sand iwas thinking could be surrounding a cluster of plants in the middle. The sand for the middle needs to be like the stuff at a lake. Where can i find some natural looking sand cheap?

Just got back from buying some of that orangish sand from petco. Still need that stand! Funds are a little low now so it might be awhile before this thread and the tank really kicks in. Thing is i also want something of that effect Charlie. The orange sand iwas thinking could be surrounding a cluster of plants in the middle. The sand for the middle needs to be like the stuff at a lake. Where can i find some natural looking sand cheap?

You can get pool filter sand at lowes for very cheap!

Following this build! :)

You can get pool filter sand at lowes for very cheap!

Following this build! :)

+1 on this. I got my play sand from lowes an paid $3.50 and some odd change.. And that was for a 50lbs bag I used half of to get an inch worth of sand in a 55g. And another suggestion if you don't mind a DIY... Is for fertilizers. I made a post about properly dosing liquid ferts for root feeder plants, and someone gave me a way to make your own 'root tabs'. The best part: it's about the same price you pay for a 10 pack of seachem root tabs but this way lasts MUCH longer. So for your supplies: Osmocote indoor/outdoor formula (this is the fertilizer, I looked online and I can be found on amazon, as well as Walmart and lowes or home depot), a(n) ice cube tray(s); these of course need to be solely for this purpose of course, some old tank water. Now for the how too.. Out 6 pellets of Osmocote in each cube, and fill the tray with tank water and freeze. Once frozen stick in your substrate as you would root tabs.

Hmmm interesting mrs.h. ice cubes in an aquarium? Reminds me of when i used to stick popsicle sticks in some juice i put on theice cube trayswhen i was little. I digress. Ill see if i cant get some sand at lowes, then see about a stand. My goal is one by the end of the month. Hopefully you all will stick around until then lol. As for stocking i have an update. More a question if i use that mineralized substrate, will kuhli loaches not disturb it?

Hmmm interesting mrs.h. ice cubes in an aquarium? Reminds me of when i used to stick popsicle sticks in some juice i put on theice cube trayswhen i was little. I digress. Ill see if i cant get some sand at lowes, then see about a stand. My goal is one by the end of the month. Hopefully you all will stick around until then lol. As for stocking i have an update. More a question if i use that mineralized substrate, will kuhli loaches not disturb it?

If you make the sand cap thick enough, the kuhlis shouldn't disturb the dirt.

And does the osmocote need to be treated for any harmful pesticides or sometjing???

No, it shouldn't. Another way to avoid even making the osmocote ice cubes is to just sprinke osmocote on the bottom of the tank before adding the mineralized topsoil.

And will that set me for the fertilizer??? Looking forward to finally starting to keep some fish in this aquarium!!! So about an inch of sand atop the soil???

That NPK+CSM+B package I linked earlier plus some type of root supplement like osmocote will set you for fertilizer. I would say a 1.5-2 inch sand cap would be best.

Alright! Picked up some pool filter sand and am thinking of having a middle island of pfs surround by orange sand. The pfs will slope gradually upwards to a hill, andthecenter will be heavily planted, the outer edges with less.

Sounds cool! I think if the hill sloped to the back, it'd be cool, or like a mtn and slope to the middle, a cone shape. So what are you thinking for stock?

Not a bad idea. Have the back of the slope hug the back of thr tank? Sounds excellent. Definitely kuhli loaches. Im having a betta in there maybe, bosemani rainbows? Silvertip tetras? Several platys, and beyond that im not sure.

Not a bad idea. Have the back of the slope hug the back of thr tank? Sounds excellent. Definitely kuhli loaches. Im having a betta in there maybe, bosemani rainbows? Silvertip tetras? Several platys, and beyond that im not sure.

A beta will work, male or female? Silver tips I believe are very nippy, so with a beta I'd say no. Those rainbows look amazing. They get to three inches so a school of 6-8 should fit fine. Killing loaches are great too! Another option to look into are rams. Not sure how they do with betas, but if you had
2 German blue rams
6 Khuhli loaches
1 beta
6 Bose and rainbows
3 platy
If you got red platys and a blue beta I think it would look good with the rainbows, rams and beta all blue and the platy orange/red would contrast nice

Ok how about 5 kuhlis, an angelfish, a school of cherry barbs, one male betta, some shrimp and maybe some rainbows???

IMHO Bosemani rainbows are too big for a 29 gallon. I would look into the smaller rainbows like furcata rainbows, threadfins, etc.

I really don't think a male betta would be a good idea, they are VERY hit-and-miss in community tanks. If you do end up getting one, make sure you have a backup plan because it is likely to not work.

Maybe do something like this:
8 Cherry Barbs
8 Furcata Rainbows
3 platys
5 kuhli loaches
Some centerpiece fish like a gourami or a pair of rams

5 kuhlis, the angel and the cherrys are a definite. If i dont get the angel me mums gonna be super mad. I have a gourami in ky other tanks so i dont really need another. Bettas ive had good expiriences with in the past. Never kept one with angels tho. I want another decent sized school too. Ill look into the rainbows. So hows this? 5 kuhlis, shoal of cherries, an angel, some type of rainbow and a platy or three. Sound good?

5 kuhlis, the angel and the cherrys are a definite. If i dont get the angel me mums gonna be super mad. I have a gourami in ky other tanks so i dont really need another. Bettas ive had good expiriences with in the past. Never kept one with angels tho. I want another decent sized school too. Ill look into the rainbows. So hows this? 5 kuhlis, shoal of cherries, an angel, some type of rainbow and a platy or three. Sound good?

Lol I k I now ya ffeel. I have to get an angelfish too because my mom loves em! So this is a 29 right? If you skipped the platy I thnk some small rainbows will fit, not sure the platy and rainbows

Back
Top Bottom