clowns not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up 2 small percula clowns Friday evening and as of tonight they still have not eaten. I have tried frozen brine shrimp and omega one flake food. The food will float right past them and they don't seem interested at all. Should I be worried yet? What do I do if this keeps up for longer? I have waited 4 months for my tank to cycle and finally was able to get my 2 clowns. They are so beautiful and we have already fallen in love with them. Someone please help because we don't want them to die.

It's only been a few days, not time to worry yet. What were they feeding them at the store? Did you make the LFS feed them for you, do you know for a fact your fish were eating? Please refer to our articles section to the article on quarantine, there is a list in that article of things you can do to decrease fish mortality and make your aquaria experience more enjoyable.

My lfs store just got in a large shipment Friday morning and he called me at work later that day because he knew I had been waiting for clowns. My wife and I were so excited that we went there right after dinner to see them and pick them up. I know that was a quick decision but we were so excited. They were tank raised from wherever he buys them. I will call him tommorrow to see if he can help.

I know you're excited and have a hard time resisting as I have the same problem. I've learned the hard way and lost tons of money/animals so now I"m super careful and research every single thing before I buy it and make sure it's healthy and eating before I get it. Okay sorry I'll get off my soapbox, just thought I'd share my story, there's nothing worse than being so excited about a new critter and haveing it die loosing money and the cool animal.

Anyway, my 2 clowns were tank raised and ate at my LFS, however they didn't eat for close to 10 days once I got them home. I was getting really worried then all of a sudden they started pigging out :lol: I wouldn't worry too much yet.

My clowns didn't eat for a little while after I got them home too. When buying a new fish, I have heard that you should see if they can be put on hold for about a week and ask to see them eat before you get them. This way, you can check in on them after a few days and see how healthy they are. (especially if they are a new shipment) Wish I heard this before I bought my fish. I was just as excited as you...I got lucky and had no problems, but I would do it in the future. :wink:

I called the owner of my lfs this morning and he told me the shippers were feeding their fish a pellet type food. I drove to the lfs on my lunch hour and he gave me some of the pellets. I feed some this evening and one clown took a couple of bites and the other acted interested. Wish me (and the fish) luck, I will keep you posted!

Mine didnt eat for four days. I used garlic extrem that brought them around.

Good Luck Dewey

Back
Top Bottom