HELP!!!! My fire fish is sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfoofoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a sick firefish... I got 2 a few days ago and one is fine and the other is looking rather ill. he is sitting on the sand and turning slightly to the side. ..... However, he is eating, and perks up at food time. The water parameters are very good. Any suggestions? Is a fresh water dip a good thing in this situation?

freshwater dips are used to remove parasites...do you see parasites?

what exactly is "very good" on your water parameters? Did you quarantine the fish? How do you acclimate?

sg 1.022
nitrates 0
ammonia 0
ph 8.2

I do not have a quarantine tank, this is my first tank and I am new to the hobby. I know the importance of one and I plan on getting one at some point. I do not see any parasites. I acclimated by the float method for 30 minutes. I have heard of the drip method, but the lfs guy told me this method would do fine.

Did you only float him and then put him in? If so, that was a really insufficient method, and your LFS guy should be tarred and feathered (I HATE when some LFS people give good and caring LFS employees, me ahem, a bad reputation by doing dumb crap or being uneducated like the aforemented). The minimum acclimation for any fish, in my opinion, is to allow temperature to acclimate by letting float for 10-20 minutes, and then to start pouring ~1/4 cup aquarium water into his bag every ~5 minutes after temp is acclimated, until volume is at least double or triple. Anything less than that is a good way to shock and possibly kill a fish. If however that was the method he told you to do, the "cup" method as I call it, then I take back my LFS rant.:) I hope your firefish isn't too stunned and pulls out alright.

Back
Top Bottom