Please help Quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think my new Fox Face is not going to make it. I added him yesterday. He was doing well then today he is not eating. I saw him skimming the top alot and now he is breathing rapidly and staying by the overflow box.
He was acclimated as follows. I floated the bag for 10min, then I added 8oz of the tank water to the bag every 5min until the bag was full then I emptied half and repeated the process.
My water parameters are fine(SG 1.022, pH8.2, Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0). I only have 2 clowns in the tank and they are fine. The tank is a 55G. with 75lbs of LR, 2 inch sand, and varrious inverts.
Thanks in advance.

Skimming the top, sounds like it could be an O2 deficiency. Are the clowns bothering him? What kind of water flow do you have? What are you nitrates? I like to acclimate via drip method, for at least an hour. That gives me time to move rock around and any other things I need to do. I am not too familiar with the FoxFace, other than they look pretty cool. Hopefully some one else can help.

Your acclimation procedure was also way to fast. 8 ounces every five minutes is alot of water. Drip acclimation is the best procedure. If hte water chemistry was vastly different between the fish store tank and your tank, it could very well be suffering from that.

Thanks, I had checked the water parameters before I added the fish. Just in case I rechecked it and the Nitrite was elevated at 0.25 I did a partial water change and he look better almost immediately. I then rechecked the water today and the nitrite may have been slightly higher and there was a touch of ammonia. I did a 20% water change and will continue to follow. I had a sand sifting star that looked like it was wasting away so I thought perhaps if it was sick it could be adding to the stress so I moved it to a isolation tank.
As far as flow I have the return from the sump and a Maxihead 1200.
Any idea why my water parameters would suddenly increase when they had been rock steady for months?
Thanks

Is the star dead? If so, that could be where your ammonia/nitrIte is coming from? How about snails, you have any die on you or other deaths? If you update "my info" with your tank size/equip and critters, we can help better.

Yeah, what sized tank and how much rock? Substrate type? New nitrate and ammonia suddenly make me think small tank + new fish = water problem.

BTW, I believe your sand star may be starving. They do that as they quickly deplete the sand bed of nutrients it seems. Is he kinda melting away? Sand stuck to his body? Losing an arm? All signs that he won't make it IMO.

Check into nassarius snails for your sand bed.

I love this acclimator. Check it out...

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=JJ1117

Thanks for everyones advice. The poor guy didn't make it. I found him on the bottom of the tank with the serpent star sitting on his head. Bad sign. I knew about the starving issues with the sand sifting star and thats why I moved him. My only guess is that the acclimation was to rapid, but that still does not explain why the water parameters went nuts. Does it? I don't know if this hels but I do now have a problem with Aptasia. The PS does not touch them. THE LFS said they would credit the fish so at least when the tank settles I can try again.
BZ
Ps I have updated my info

Get that acclimator or make onre on your own so that you can control a drip acclimation to to maybe a drop per second two. At least, that's what I do. That acclimator (or a homemade one should) uses a small plastic ball valve type thingy so you can turn it to adjust to the exact flow you want. I used to do the vinyl tube with a knot tied in it but had trouble regulating the flow.

Got any bio balls in your system anywhere? Or maybe earlier test weren't accurate?

but that still does not explain why the water parameters went nuts. Does it?
Did you possibly add some new LR?
I don't know if this hels but I do now have a problem with Aptasia. The PS does not touch them.
How often/what do you feed? I found I overfed my shrimp and they became lazy. Neither my cleaner or fire shrimp would clean. Just sit there and wait for food.

Back
Top Bottom