Sick Frogspawn caused by faulty heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tg062468

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need a little help. I had a defective marineland heater. My tank went up to around 90 degrees the other day before I noticed. I am fairly certain the heat up lasted less than 12 hours. I immediately took out the heater and used zip lock baggies of ice to gradually lower the temp in the tank. I was very lucky. All fish seem to be OK, and I have a small colony of zoos and an open brain coral that have weathered the storm thus far. The thing that tipped me off to the temp was that my fragspawn had not opened up. Since the spike, it has not opened up at all, and one of the heads has completely shrunk inside of the skeleton. I have done a water change and used test strips to ensure that the levels are all acceptable. Is there anything I can do to help relieve the stress, or is it a waiting game? Also, how do I know if the frogspawn is truly dead or not? Since the problematic heater, I have replaced it with a fluval 100 watt. I have a 30 gallon bow front. BTW, if anyone else has had the same problem, they have recalled those heaters, and Petsmart is replacing them without a receipt.
Thanks,
Trent

Trent,

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. I did however have a similar problem with my frogspawn last summer. My tank was at my dads house (no ac) and the temp got pretty high as we had a very hot summer. My tank is now back at my apt and my frogspawn no longer opens as big as it used to. 3 heads retracted into the skeleton. 2 of which barely have come back out, 1 remains retracted and I'm assuming it is dead. I'm also interested if that is the correct assumption and will be goin to my lfs this weekend to ask. Hopefully I will get some good news though it has been a while without any improvement.

If it's fully retracted into the skeleton and there is no longer any tissue on the skeleton at all then it's most likely a casualty.

Just updating, my frogspawn is doing much better except for the one branch that the flesh had fully retracted. My lfs had shown me a frogspawn that had similar issues, they have been nursing it and it was huge. As long as there is flesh it can be saved. Mine is slowly coming back and seems like every week its getting bigger. Hopefully you had similar success.

Back
Top Bottom