Sick hippo tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I purchased a small hippo tang a week and a half ago from my LFS. It seemed pretty healthy and happy at the store.
I've had in my 20 gal. QT tank since bringing it home.
The last couple of days it has been scratching alot on the bottom and on the decorative pieces I have in the tank. When I look close up there appears to be small pinkish looking spots on the belly just under the fins.
Any ideas on what this might be, and a possible cure?

Thanks bunches!

Any chance on getting a pic? The behavior of the fish leads me to believe it has a case of ick. Nice job on QT the fish from the LFS. You just saved yourself a lot of trouble. You have a couple treatment options, hyposalinity or using a copper-based medication to strip the fish of the parasite.

Sounds like the water quality might be on a decline. Do a few good sized water changes (5ish gal) with well aged/aerated SW over the next few days. Be sure the tang is getting vitamin fortified foods and veggie matter regularly.

Be sure to check the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate regularly.

Any signs of spots or other symptoms or just the red areas?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies.
Having had fish with ick before, it doesn't really look like this is the case, but I could be wrong. These spots are only just below the fins. I'm going to watch a couple more days and might do a fw dip and treat with copper.
I tried getting a pic, but she is just to quick!!
Checked all water paramaters last night, everything was right on.
Will do a good size water change just to make sure though.
I did add a piece of Nori yesterday which she ate all of.

This is my 2nd attempt at having a hippo, I really don't want to lose this one.

I would not suggest a FW dip nor the copper unless you are sure the fish has C. irritans. Even then I would forego the dip, they are for the most part useless and just further stress the fish. If you have a refractometer, hyposalinity is a much better treatment for C. irritans.

As far as the water quality goes, still keep up with the water changes. DOC is what feeds the bacteria that may be the issue here, it cannot be measured by the test kits you have :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Make sure of the green stuff in the tank. Calerpa or nori or sea kelp. These will help him to make it through this period. Lots of vitamins enriched. Steve already brought this up but it needs to be seconded

This is my 2nd attempt at having a hippo, I really don't want to lose this one

They are pretty hardy, IMO, once through the QT period. I think their appetite, ease of feeding is a big part. I agree with more water changes as Steve said. What size are the spots and how often is he rubbing? ICH looks like salt or sugar specs.

Back
Top Bottom