Sick pipefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katym27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a pipefish that won't eat and is just sitting at the bottom. As far as I can see he doesn't have any spots or bloating. We have a 29 gallon aquarium, using a 70 gallon biofilter, we have live sand and 1 live rock, 1 blue damsel, 1 small clownfish, and 1 turbo snail. We have been having some problems with purple string algae too, so any advice there would be great! Could that be the cause of the pipefish's illness? Thanks for any help!

I know damsels can get very aggressive and territorial, while pipefish need a much calmer tank, usually a species only. Has the damsel been picking on the pipefish at all?
Also I know they can be very picky eaters and usually do not take prepared food, eating only 'pods' that require a well established tanks. I would definitely get some more live rock so he has more hidey holes to get away from the damsel.

As far as purple string algae, I assume u mean Cyanobacteria. That is usually caused by excess nutrients in the water like nitrates and phosphates. If u can lower these it should help and also cutting back on ur lighting will help also.

Back
Top Bottom