sick starfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

opie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a orange linkia starfish that seems to have shriveled and be drying up. I also have a purple linkia that is starting to get a white spot on the very tip of one of the legs. I've had these for 3 days. Acclimated them both for about 2 hours. I had a blue linkia about 2 weeks before this that died, it started to turn white on the very tip. Can anyone give me any advice to save these starfish??

What's the age of your set up and what are the exact water parameters?

Starfish are severely sensitive to changes in the water and acclimation to a new tank is extremeley important. They should be drip acclimated for about 4-6 hours.

Cheers
Steve

also make sure they dont touch the air !! got into an argument with my lfs for doing that !! he said ahhhh its not a big deal !! mabe not to you due to if it dies ya know they will be back but it will prob die now !!!

scuba_steve said:
also make sure they dont touch the air !! got into an argument with my lfs for doing that !! he said ahhhh its not a big deal !! mabe not to you due to if it dies ya know they will be back but it will prob die now !!!

I actually don't think there is a problem exposing starfish to the air for a short period of time.

jamal-188 said:
scuba_steve said:

I actually don't think there is a problem exposing starfish to the air for a short period of time.
Probabley not but I would give the star every chance for success. Personally I never touch them with my hands and do not exspose them to air.

Cheers
Steve

i had a purple star and it did about the same. it started to have white spots and then a few days it died. i had it about a week. the lfs said wait at least 6 months before even thinking about starfish.

Back
Top Bottom