Sick Turbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shinigami_Kitaru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have been in the hobby since '93. I set up a FOWLR. The tank is still very young. It is about a month and a half now. The LR and LS was from my previous tank which had a seal issue. Anticipating any die off in the rock I lightly scrubbed the LR with a toothbrush and baster blasted it (no hitchhikers). The sand was siphoned to make sure any organics would be removed. 10% water changes every 4 days to keep params in check. Needless to say the new tank looks gorgeous. Im running a 10g AGA with a 3.5 DSB, 30lb of LR, AC70 modded Fuge with cheto and chemi-pure on the vent. Oceanic 220 circulation pump, 2 tetra 50w preset heaters (comfy 78.3°), 2 coralife 20w 50/50 PC's, 3" acrilic diy counter current skimmer (24" long with nice brown skim). Now the problem. I had an issue with what i was thinking was cyano so i went with a lower feeding schedule, dropped the lighting for 72 hours, and vac the top of the sand. (wish i had taken a pic). Either way i have had an issue with trates since the tank started which is not so strange considering the age of the system. I put in three cleaners on the third week after the diatomes leveled out. Readings were 0's with the exception of trates (used to that). I use distilled water and red sea salt (non coral). I have a mexican turbo that is looking a little sick and not eating or moving around much. The only loss i have had in my tank was a scar hermit. I had a bloom of what i thought was cyano but it looked almost black with light hairs and was in slimey carpets on the sand. I vac and disposed and the tank is clear yet again, but my worry is it might have been dinos. The tank has been throughly cleaned and perams are good but a little high on trates (30ppm). Currently besides him i have 9 scar hermits, two super tongans, an astrea, and decorator crab. All had a two hour drip before entering the tank. Any idea how i can prevent this loss?

Attachments

• image-1687927380.jpg
    image-1687927380.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 60
I'm not sure about the snail, but without seeing a picture, what you were siphoning by your description was def cyano. Hope this helps out with your snail, I've never done much in terms of saving snails...or having troubles with them aside from hermits needing new homes. GL.

I didnt see any snot bubbles so i was 50/50 on the cause. I was worried if it was dinos that he might have been poisened. He is withdrawing into his shell alot, but i worry how long he can stay this way as i dont have enough equipment for a QT

The largest snail in my tank kept falling into the sand for the past 4 days. I would push him near the LR & he would climb up. This morning his shell was empty- hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom