Tuxedo Urchin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey guys, I have a question.. When I first started my tank, I wanted a Tuxedo Urchin or Two in my tank.

My stock list is

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Blue Spotted Puffer
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Sleeper Goby

My tank is 55 gallons and I have 65 pounds of live rock and around 80 pounds of live sand. I was just wondering with my stock list will a Tuxedo Urchin be safe or do you think the Puffer will go after it? I have had 6 hermit crabs that have been in my tank and he is not touched one of them.

Sorry, I meant to post this in the FOWLR section.. Admin Please Delete and I will repost in right area.

The puffer will most likely try to eat any urchine or starfish you might add. They grow quite large and will be too large for your current aquarium soon. In fact, your system is also going to be too small for the tangs eventually. Check Liveaquaria.com for recommended tank sizing for further livestock purchases and you will save yourself money and grief.

I got the Spiny Sea Urchin. The puffer has not gone after it at all, and I already know the size of the tank is too small for the tangs.

They were a rescue as the yellow was being beating by the other fish and had it's fins nipped off. The LFS put it into a smaller tank and it was getting worse because he had no room. I purchased it and now it's healthy and the fins are all grown back. The Yellow Eye Tang was because he was in a smaller tank looking stressed. Both Tangs are healthy and have enough swimming space until I get a bigger tank.

If the Urchin gets too big, I will just exchange him for another one. My normal LFS is really good and being I spent a lot of money in their store they treat me like a king. LOL So they already said they will just exchange it out if it gets too big before I get my 180 gallon. Which I don't think will be a problem being we will get it by the end of the year.

I am going to turn my 55 into a reef..

My wife and I are already saving for our 180 gallon tank. We already decided to upgrade to a bigger tank. Most websites and books say a 55 gallon is good for the Yellow Tang, and a 50 is good for a Yellow Eye. Live Liveaquaria.com says the Yellow eye needs a 75 and the yellow needs 100. So with all the multiple sources saying different things, I tend to believe I my fish are ok, plus I am really upgrading.

The Tuxedo Urchin according to Liveaquaria.com only needs a 20 gallon, and the Spiny only requires a 1 gallon according to some websites. lol

Back
Top Bottom