White spot on P.J. cardinals eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
What I'm seeing is 1 white spot on 2 different P.J. Cardinals, but only on their left eyes, and their right eyes are clear. There is one other P.J. cardinal in the tank, and that one's eyes are both clear, and no white spots on their bodies.

Other info: We lost a lawnmower blenny last night - no external symptoms with him in the beginning other than not eating for a couple of days (he was eating a variety of frozen foods, flakes, and pellets from the beginning). Last night I saw him lying in one corner, gills pumping, swollen belly - QT last night in a 10 gal. and began treating with Life Guard medicine, but he's dead this morning. It's been a very healthy tank from the start - 2 yrs. ago and I do regular weekly 8 gal. water changes.

I've only been 2 yrs. keeping SW fish and corals. I'm not sure what this could be and how to go about treating it or knowing if it will spread to other fish. I appreciate any help.

1. How long have you had the fish? 2 yrs Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised? tank raised

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? 2 yrs. What are the tank mates? ocellaris clowns, yasha hase goby, lawnmower blenny (now dead), cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, scarlet reef hermit, snails cuc Any aggression? Not really, sometimes they'll chase eachother around; but no real aggression

3. Is the fish eating? Yes If so what does it eat? I feed a varied diet of frozen and dry foods.
frozen foods: brine shrimp, blood worms, cyclops, plankton, marine quisine, mysis shrimp
dry foods: New Life Spectrum pellets, and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes

4. What are the water parameters? pH, 8.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 0 (undectable) SPG? 1.026 (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using? API liquid

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc? The only thing that I see is 1 white spot in the center on one eye on 2 different P.J. Cardinals

6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank? Swimming fine, but they tend to hover in one spot sometimes, mostly at night

8. Did you use quarantine? No yet If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)? We do have a 10 gal. set up for QT and have Life Guard medicine on hand

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. very slowly, 2 hr. drip, 2 yrs. ago

10. What size system? 38 gallon What type of filtration do you use? Fluval canister filter with Chemi Pure Elite, Purigen, and LR rubble Do you have any live rock or sand? Yes, both

11. Do you use any additives? No, just Instant Ocean Reef Crystals during water changes Have you used any sort of meds in the main
tank? No

So it's a white dot on the eye? Or a white clouding of the eye? If there's a clouding, you cool try treating the DT with prazipro. I used it once in the DT with my fish and corals because one of my fish was kinda lethargic and had cloudy eyes. I did 2 doses, days apart, as instructed. And my fish went back to normal and the cloudiness disappeared. It took about a week total to treat. And the med didn't affect my corals or dusters at all. You just have to turn of the skimmer during the treatment. Good luck!! I hope you get it figured out!!

Sometimes stuff like that is from injuries, but what are the odds of two fish having the same thing at the same time? Most eye trouble is bacterial.

The other fish with the swollen belly sounds like an internal parasite or could be bacterial.

I would think treating with an antibiotic could clear both issues up. Just in case the belly issue is a parasite, you could go with an anti-parasite food to cover that possibility.

Sorry...just saw that the bloated Blenny was lost last night...if all other fish bellies look ok, maybe just go with antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom