Betta with tumor and open wound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rygirl2002

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!:wave: I'm new to this site so cut me some slack.:lol: I have a female betta that has had a tumor for a while (or at least I think it is a tumor, it is a bulge on one side of her body), and recently, my other female attacked her. I think it was started by a disagreement about the pecking order, but it quickly became more vicious then that. Since she has the tumor, she was slower then my other female. Ok here's the question. What should I do about her injuries? I had a tablespoon of epsom salt in her tank (it's a 5 gal) but read somewhere that it wan't a good idea. I have no idea how reliable that source was...:lol: Yesterday, I did 2 50% water changes to get rid of the epsom salt) and added 1 tablespoon of AQ salt. Did I make the right choice? And also, does epsom salt help with tumors?

OK, that was a lot of words. Here are my questions to make it simple.

-She has a open wound on her belly. What should I do?
-What should I do about the tumor?
-Should I keep the lights on in the hospital tank?
-She is laying on the bottom (she swims to the top when I'm around because she wants food). Should I get her to swim around?
-Should I soak the pellets to make them sink? Or should I feed frozen food? (I have brine shrimp and bloodworms)
-Any meds that I should try?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Female Betta. Tumor, Scales Missing, And open wound near belly.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please
give exact values.

Ammonia and Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 5 Temp: 78 pH: 7.8

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?[/B]

Set up 4 days ago as a hospital tank. 5 gallons.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Tetra Whisper 2-10i Power Filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

1 Female Betta (3 inches)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Yesterday I did 2 50% water changes. Bare bottom tank. Usually do 25% water changes every week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

About a year

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Mixed diet of NLS Saltwater Formula (for extra protein),

Hopefully it's not to much.... Thanks!

I'm pretty sure.... What else would cause a giant lump on only one side of body?

Many things, actually and surprisingly. Usually it's caused by an injury with secondary bacterial or fungal infections.

Also- this would make sense based on the high protein seafood diet. Have you tried feeding your betta a pea?

No. She is pooping though... Idk if that makes a difference... I could try the pea thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't really tell. I have had females with similar guarded positions, but only when dealing with males/ nursing wounds from males. If it's not external only or constipation I'm baffled... Have you tried feeding her a pea?

I can't really tell. I have had females with similar guarded positions, but only when dealing with males/ nursing wounds from males. If it's not external only or constipation I'm baffled... Have you tried feeding her a pea?

Not yet, but I'm going to. I just got home from school.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom