Boesmani Rainbow Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry Barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently moved 2 Boesmani Rainbows into their very own 10g tank. I had to do this after they killed all my Harlequin Rasboras in my 20g community tank.

that was almost 5 days ago. Now, one of my BR has a misshapen tail fin and he has some odd looking white around his mouth. He is also hanging out behind my heater tube. Yesterday he was under the bio-wheel stream.

I called my lfs experts and they advised it sounded like a fungus. I have gotten something called fungus ease. I also on their advice purchased and added aquarium salt (per the directions) to reduce stress and aid in healing. While I was at it I also put it in my 20g which by the way shows no signs of this fungus.

The lfs said it may just be stress due to the move and with the meds and salt my BR should recover. Has anyone else possibly had an experience with this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Cherry Barb said:
I called my lfs experts and they advised it sounded like a fungus. I have gotten something called fungus ease. I also on their advice purchased and added aquarium salt (per the directions) to reduce stress and aid in healing. While I was at it I also put it in my 20g which by the way shows no signs of this fungus.

The lfs said it may just be stress due to the move and with the meds and salt my BR should recover. Has anyone else possibly had an experience with this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

I have never used the med you mentioned. I have had several fish over the years with fungal infections and it was always easily cured. If I remember correctly, I usually used methylene blue to treat it :? . My guess would be that the LFS is right...stress from the move probably caused it. I have never used salt in a FW tank so I can't comment there. Some folks I know swear by it and others swear at it.

Sounds like columnaris aka mouth fungus. Its not really a fungus; its an infection caused by a bacteria called flexibactor. Is prob the number one cause of disease in fish tanks. Some of the symptoms include white/grey cottony stuff usually around the mouth, and fin rot (there are others). It usually in most tanks, but doesn't rear its ugly head until a fish is stressed (which in your case would have happened during the changes).

The best treatment is actually tetracycline. Check and see what that fungus ease actually contains; a number of the "fungal" meds are actually antibiotics as columnaris looks so much like a fungus disease, and they figure its better to just call it that and treat it with correct meds. Kanacyn is also a good treatment. Take a peek here for some visuals on columnaris: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html (just scroll down).

Also, keep a REAL close eye on your water parameters; the meds have a way of killing off the bacterial colonies.

Back
Top Bottom