Cobra endler guppys, one dark, two pale, one going crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amartin655

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright guys I’m a noob so don’t judge.

About three weeks ago I got a ten gallon tank, and all my equipment, and java moss.

I set it up, used some of that safe start bacteria starter stuff tetra sells, ive been doing my water changes every week.

10 days ago. About two weeks after I had set up my aquarium with the moss I got 3 cobra guppy’s, a tiny algae eater and a java fern. Just by coincidence, my new lights arrived the same day, I wasn’t happy with my java moss progress. It wasn’t growing at all.

Well, my new lights were awesome, the java moss exploded, but so did the algae. Really bad.

A good bit of water had already evaporated so after I vacuumed the gravel and racked it a little bit and cleaned the glass, I added about 4 gallons back to the tank. Right after this, same day, one of the guppy’s started staying at the bottom of the tank in little nooks and crannies like he was trying to hide.
And he also turned literally black around the head and his green color got very very very dark green. My girlfriend swears she could see white spots on him, and I think I may have seen one or two around his gill area but maybe not, they are definitely not there now.

They looked bigger than the white spots you get with ich. About ten minutes ago, he started swimming frantically into the corners of the tank. It literally looked like he was having a seizure, for a good 5 10 minutes straight. And then he went and wedged himself into a crack in the filter pump and hasn’t moved since... I immediately thought ich but now I’m thinking I could have caused some kind of fungus infection with my algae explosion?

The other two guppy’s act relatively normal I guess but I wouldn’t really know honestly, one is kind of hiding towards the bottom but I think that’s just cuz I’ve been sitting here staring at the other fish.

My algae eater has little random fits of swimming fast up and down the glass but I think that’s normal? He doesn’t do it a lot.

Anyone know what’s going on?? There is definitely something very wrong with the one.

Attachments

• 28288CDD-763D-40FD-B341-F666EE513E23.jpg
    28288CDD-763D-40FD-B341-F666EE513E23.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 46
  • A6183614-3E93-4389-BB6E-6E8992E6F6CE.jpg
    A6183614-3E93-4389-BB6E-6E8992E6F6CE.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 56
  • A4BB3A1F-C936-4169-8E9F-0B0E0C7FBC5B.jpg
    A4BB3A1F-C936-4169-8E9F-0B0E0C7FBC5B.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Aquarium specs

And again don’t judge. But I don’t have an ammonia test. My nitrate levels have been right below 20 since I got the fish. No nitrite. PH is right above 7.0. No higher than 7.6. Sorry for the bad info. I need to upgrade my tests. Could really use some help. I have no idea what to do except look at them and change water/ clean frequently.

Ammonia is a number one issue in getting up a new tank. Take a few minutes to check out the thread in my signature and it can help you understand the nitrification "cycle" .

Doing water changes will help the fish and they will often act crazy / aggressive when they have toxic water conditions.

Here....

This is the information about Ich. The issue about ich is that it has a life cycle where you see the dots, They mature and swim off and often are in the substrate, until they develop and go looking for a host fish to stick to and the process continues. So one day you might see spots and the next day not see them!!!

Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom