Corydoras elegans fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Dora, if the cories are looking fine, I don't see a reason why you can't return them to the main tank. Hope the glowlight keeps improving. You may want to make a new post, sure, for the tetra.

What exactly do you mean about his stripe being bent down? Like curved, or his his whold body curved?

Thanks, Devilishturtles!

I put the cories back in the main tank tonight. They seem so happy to be back home!

Unfortunately, my little glow light seems to have swim bladder now. He's floating with the water current inside my hospital tank. He was swimming fine this morning so I don't know what happened. Maybe I treated him too long with tetracycline (12 days)? If so, I feel really guilty. :cry: I set my filter's current on low, but he's still floating around the tank.

My daughter won't let me euthanize him because he's one of her favorites. I don't think he's going to make it with all the problems he's suffered (blindness in one eye, infection, and now swim bladder). The bent stripe across his side is slightly bent down in the center (not curved). It looks like it's caused by a subtle change in the shape of his body. I can see areas of darkness under his skin too. It looks whatever happened was internal (not external). I am really bummed that now he can't even swim. :cry:

Sorry. :(

It could very well be "old age" setting in with the tetra, so don't worry about it being anything you did. I highly doubt it's possible to OD tetracycline, and if it is, you'd have to treat for waaaaay longer than 12 days. The swim bladder trouble is likely caused just from stress to whatever is inflicting it. It may perk up, but...I doubt it. Sorry. Again, don't think it's something you did. It may just be his time. One thing you can try doing, is raising the temperature slowly. It will slowly increase the fish's metabolism and may give them a little boost to eat and swim around, but, it's not usually a fix.

Sorry to hear about the little guy!

Appreciate your supportive words, Devilishturtles. Thanks for reassuring me I didn't do anything wrong. It means a lot to me.

When I came home from work, James Bond (the glow light) wasn't swirling around with the current anymore. He's fairly stationary at the top although he has been able to scoot around in an attempt to get right side up. He can swim halfway down the tank for a short period of time and then he floats right back up to the top. I've adjusted the heater from about 79° to 82°. I can't really feed him because he's floating on his back. It doesn't look good for him considering all he's been through. However, I must admit, JB is a little trooper.

On a happier note, the cories are doing great. Even Boris (the one completely missing a tail) seems happier and more active in the main tank. Dolores and Tori are also doing great. Their tails are noticeably growing back!

The glow light died some time over the night. :cry: Considering all his problems, it's probably for the best. May James Bond rest in peace.

Thanks, Devilishturtles. It's so sad to lose a fish. :cry:

Now for happier news--the corys are doing great. They love being back in the main tank and they are much more active now. Most importantly, their tails have definitely shown regrowth. I've even noticed what looks like a small area of tail regrowth on Boris (the one who was completely tailess). I didn't expect that because I was told that tails don't grow back after a certain point.

Also, my three aenueus corys seem so excited to have the three elegans back!

Back
Top Bottom