Dying cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fully cycled 20 gallon I started in February with
6x glowlight tetra
6x zebra danio
1x dwarf gourami
4x Cory cat
2x kuhli loach

Since I added fish, 3 Cory cats have died even though my water parameters are good, is it coincidental or are cory cats weak? The one I found tonight was picked apart, I assume after it died. No other fish have any fin nips or noticeable problems.

Geez, sorry to hear that. I've always had good luck with Corys, they seem pretty hardy. Did you get them all at the same time/place?

Check survivors Barbels (whiskers) to make sure they look ok.

What are you feeding your Cories ?

What kind of Cories ?

What are your test results ?

The other 2 I found dead on 5/23 and this is the first death since then, I feed my fish a mix of tetra flakes, prellets, veggie bites, and freeze dried blood worms.
My water parameters are nitrate 10-20, nitrite 0, ammo 0, ph 8.2

image-1092666300.jpg

image-3309841325.jpg

Corys and kuhli loaches both compete for food on the floor of the aquarium so make sure your Cory's get food that may be a cause of there deaths

The temp is steady at 74

I spread out feeding pellets so they all can get some

Yes I watch they do eat and sometimes go up to the top and eat, too

I have a fully cycled 20 gallon I started in February with
6x glowlight tetra
6x zebra danio
1x dwarf gourami
4x Cory cat
2x kuhli loach

Since I added fish, 3 Cory cats have died even though my water parameters are good, is it coincidental or are cory cats weak? The one I found tonight was picked apart, I assume after it died. No other fish have any fin nips or noticeable problems.

That's a pretty high ph for cories. What fish did you add prior to the deaths? Do they seem at all stressed?

Danios first then glowlights then cories then dg then kuhli loaches

How is your other cory doing? It's strange- there's nothing obvious wrong to have caused the deaths. How long have you had the cories?

The other 3 I have seem happy, eating and swimming about. Before this one died a few days ago it showed no signs of stress.

The other 3 I have seem happy, eating and swimming about. Before this one died a few days ago it showed no signs of stress.

Here are a pic of 2 of the 3 does there seem to be any problems to you guys? I am still a newbie, only had the tank since Feb.

image-2140849799.jpg

image-2546736321.jpg

Nothing looks wrong with them but is that décor safe? Or did you buy some of that at a toy store... Just wondering... Because if your décor isnt fish safe than that may be what is killing the corys

Back
Top Bottom