Emerald Cory Catfish - Large white area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polychronus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have an Emerald Cory Catfish that has recently become ill. It hides in the foliage all day, and only ever comes out to feed. When it started doing this, I noticed a white area near its upper back. It did NOT look like ich, but I could be wrong. I also noticed that it's fins started to tear. The only times it ever gets in a skirmish however is when my Bristlenose Pleco feels territorial.

I have a 20 gallon tank, and the pH is 7.0. It's been set up for almost 3 years now, and I have not had any ill fish for 6+ months. I change my water every week (about 5 gallons), and my fish are on a healthy diet. None of my fish are aggressive, except occasionally my Pleco.

My Cory Catfish is getting near the end of her lifespan (Will be 3 years old in August), and I want to know whether she is just dying from age or what she is infected with.

Here is what she looks like: Imgur

Thanks!
~~Poly

I also forgot to add that on the other side of her body is 3 smaller white areas along the lateral line

Ok thanks for letting me know. I couldn't find anything on what it might be on MANY websites. Obviously Fish Columnaris should be added to the standard disease lists.

What's your plan of attack?
Cories are know to be sensitive to dissolved organics in the substrate,salt,heat,some meds....
Possibly just upping water changes(even a couple large ones and sub vac) could help.
If the cory is alone that does not help as they are a very social creature .
Cories are one fish that definitely get healthier with clean water.
Genus Corydoras: general notes | The Skeptical Aquarist
Good info on your little guy!
Hope this all helps,love my cories(orange lasers)!
Columnaris is going to turn out to be this centuries "fish flu" IMO!!

I upped the heat, changed a large portion of the water, as well as cleaned the gravel. I definitely don't want this to spread to the rest of the school!

She is the biggest of my cories, and has produced the most young. I want to keep her for a little while more :)

Lower the heat!
75-72 will be best!
Not like ich,Colunaris gets stronger with heat(and clean water).

Back
Top Bottom