Fish caught in the gravel cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandries

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was cleaning my tank and realized I forgot to unplug the filter. I set my hose down for a second and my oranda got sucked up.

It took me a minute to get him out because he was wedged (it is not a big hose). He looks fine, a little wen damage, but should I be concerned with internal damage?

I am adding some salt to the tank and not sure what else to do. He did eat when I fed, so I think that is a good sign. I attached a picture of him.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406476670321.jpg
    1406476670321.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93
He looks ok from here. I would just keep an eye on him. If you notice any scrapes/cuts you might want to consider melafix

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Vacuuming Your Tank

Hello dand...

I took an old fish net and cut it from the wire handle and covered the end of the syphon and attached the net to the syphon with a rubber band. This way you don't vacuum up anything living.

You really just need to syphon out the old water and replace it. The organic material that settles to the bottom of the tank dissolves in the tank water, so by just removing the water regularly, you remove the dissolved wastes.

I'm sure your fish will be fine, it's likely just a little stressed. Keep the water extremly clean with large, weekly water changes and the tank inhabitants will be healthy.

B

Thanks Brad. I always have to be careful when in cleaning the endler's tanks that I have, but never worried about the goldfish. I mean I use a medium vacuum about 1 inch in diameter and he is not a small goldfish. That's why he got stuck.

Poor thing still seems fine, stressed but fine.

No fin or scale damage. No discolorations. He seems hungry and ate both times I fed him. He is hanging near the bottom more but livens up when I approach. His wen is ripped but not bleeding.

I would just keep a little extra watch on him and then if it doesn't look to be healing then try treatments.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the same thing happen to my Betta. He was a little subdued for a couple of days but has been fine since. That was several months ago.
Similarly to Brad, I now cover the end of the hose with a net when I vac.
Keep it really clean for a while and he should be fine.
Good luck.
M

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of my danios went on a ride on " the wild mouse" twice. Same fish. He was fine both times. I added Stress Zyme to the water.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Thankfully he is still doing good and seems fine. What a relief!!

Back
Top Bottom