fish with diarreah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I actually witnessed that my gold skirt tetra has diarreah. I thought it was holding eggs because it's belly has been big for a few weeks. I am also having a problem with my ph staying low. Is the tetra's illness causing my ph problem? I couldn't figure out why my ph was always so low, even a day after a 25% pwc it's back down to 6 again. I treated it with proper ph 7.0 last week and it's at 6 today and I do 10% pwc about 4 times a week to get the ph up and it's not helping so I've come to the conclusion that it's possibly the sick fish's waste upsetting the tank. Thanks!

My guess is that your tap pH is low, and that is what is causing the issues. Its's likely very soft as well, with little to no buffering capacity. The constant shift from 6.0 to 7.0 pH could be enough to stress your fish. Try doing just normal water changes and not treating the tank for pH. Most fish can tolerate 6.

Btw, what fish are in the tank?

Also, a lot of the tetras prefer a lower ph, and 6 isn't bad for some of them. They prefer slightly acidic. I agree with Develishturtles, do normal pwc's and don't adjust the ph.

I have a 20 gal with 3 skirt tetras, 1 red wag platy, 1 swortail, 1 red tail shark, 1 small pleco and 1 tiny otto and now 35 platy fry. It's funny because I know that livebearers like a higher ph but both of my female platies had their fry when the ph was at 6 so maybe the fish store had a low ph when I bought them? I guess it's possible since they stick so many into those tiny tanks. I was going to add some crushed coral but the pet store guy advised me not to and that I need to find the problem and fix it. Another lfs guy today told me to get alkalinity buffer and then treat with ph buffer. I don't like messing with the tank like that. My ph is 7 from the tap but it keeps falling. I don't think I'm over stocked, well might be now with all the fry, but it wasn't before the fry came. I don't know where the problem is coming from?

You should get the water tested for KH (carbonate hardness). If it's below 2dH, that is likely the reason for getting pH swings and crashes.
I have this problem with my water, it's somewhere between 1.5-2dH. I use crushed coral in my platy and frog tanks since they don't like low pH and it has worked very well. CC will naturally and slowly raise pH and hardness.

Back
Top Bottom