Golden Wonder killifish with bent spine: deformity or disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salingercrumbs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I recently purchased 3 golden wonder killifish (1 male, 2 female) and 1 female dalmatian Molly from the LFS for my newly-cycled/planted 29 gallon aquarium. They were all in the same tank. All of the fish are doing well, no signs of distress anywhere. But one of the female Killis has a curved spine. I bought her like this (I know, I know...I had never heard of Fish TB until a few days ago....I've been out of the hobby for a while...). The pet store guy, who I talk to often (He actually knows his stuff, though he's a saltwater expert more than freshwater), said that she had been there for two months and no one bought her because she looked funny, so I did. She is bigger than the other two, which would be the case if she had been there the longest. Getting to my actual question, now! Is it possible she is a carrier of fish TB or some other disease and that is why her body is curved? Or is it most likely that this is just a congenital defect? Everything seems to point to genetics, as all of the fish are doing well (had them about a week.) I'm just being paranoid, I guess. Any thoughts or pertinent information would be helpful, Thanks!

I would guess genetics as well and for some reason survived being culled or it has gradually developed.

As long as no lesions show, ragged fins, lumpiness to body or wasting then imo should be fine.

Thanks for the input : ) I am thinking that's what it is, too...I guess I just needed some reassurance from someone else!:thanks:

Killifish have a short lifetime. Therefore, they must also bebreeded more often again. With the many breedings mistakes can be made. Thus, the strains can be bad.
Long-term diseases such as TB occur hardly.
Who wants to breed killifish, must watch the quality exactly.

Thanks for the info; I don't plan on breeding them, luckily! I didn't realize they had shorter lifespans...good to know. I appreciate the response : )

Killifishes must be propagated. Otherwise, the joy is short-lived.
But it is very interesting to breed these colorful fish successfully.

Back
Top Bottom