Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help diagnosing symptoms on a Platy?

Hi All.....

Thought I'd see if anyone might have an idea what's going on with my Red Wag Platy. Over the last 3 days or so, I've noticed one of his eyes appears clouded over & there seems to be a small white bump just above it.......the immediate eye area seems swollen. He doesn't really act sick, still eats very well and is pretty active.

He's in a 20 gall tank that has been cycled and up & runnning for about 4-5 weeks. Water parameters are as follows: Ammonia=0; Nitrites=0 and Nitrates 5-10 ppm. Actually, the Nitrates have never been above the 5-10 range. I do 50-75% water changes 1x week--have done 2 large water changes in the last 4 days since I noticed this as I figured fresh water certainly couldn't hurt anything, and might help.

His tankmates include 4 other Platys, 1 Swordtail, 1 Dwarf Gourami, & 8 Lemon Tetras. All of the other fish are doing fine.

I don't have a QT Tank and didn't want to start experimenting with meds until I got some input--any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Are any of the new fish a recent addition to your tank? Any new plants?

Cloudy eye is usually a stress issue. Clean water is of upmost importance when treating it. I'd add in some melafix to the tank to help along.

Also, are the dots above the eye small and look like salt? Or, are they larger and look like small tumors?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have any live plants and the only new addition is the Swordtail--though I got him about the same time this problem appeared.

It's definitely not ich----a small bump or tumor would be a better way to describe it, very small & right above the eye.

Would the Melafix be ok with the Tetras?

Thanks.......
Old 11-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is some excellent info on cloudy eyes (scroll down):

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Cloudyeye
Old 11-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had a lot of red wags with the same problem. The white bump becomes an area devoid of scales. It could be a congenital defect. I've tried many treatment to no effect. They seem okay for a while then start to waste.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I recently had an issue with cloudy eye. Keep the water parameters pristine and watch it closely. What seemed to be cloudy eye for me soon turned out to be pop eye. I treated with Maracyn II with complete success. Good luck.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, all! Will definitely keep on top of the water changes and keep a close watch on it. I'd hate to lose this guy--he's a beautiful red-wag with quite an attitude. Thinks he runs the place, and puts on quite a show when he tries to "school" with the Lemon Tetras --he's definitely the comedian in the tank.

Tiffi, thank you for the link........I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Tags
platy, symptoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com