Is it too late for my clown knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew.hinds

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 13" clown knife that eats feeder goldfish. Lately I've been having money issues and just couldn't afford feeders. It's been about 3-4 weeks since he's eaten (I know I feel terrible about it, I care about him, I really do.) I finally was able to get some feeders and he won't eat. He has gone this long without eating before and will usually eat right away and seem fine. Not this time, fish were right in front of him and nothing. He's moving very slow, will just let me touch him, just sits in the same spot (no floating or swimming upside down) and doesn't struggle when try to get him out of his cave. I gently grabbed him and set him in a net with just about 1/4" of his mouth sticking out and he opened his mouth no problem as I held a feeder in front of him, I got him to eat one that way but wouldn't eat another. Being he ate one would that help him snap out of it or is it just too late? Also for those of you who say I'm a bad care taker, I agree and disagree, I have raised this fish for 3 years and didn't have money issues when I got him (parents paid for it), just recently I have had to pay on my own, I just don't have it in me to give him away or sell him. I'm 16 working 30 hours a week to make $600 a month which about $500 of goes to my truck and bills, the other usually $100 goes to gas/food. You all know it's not easy to let go of a pet, even if you can't afford them.

They sell feeder fish for like 15 cents at petco and like 5 cents at local fish stores. Im sorry if im being rude but if you explained your situation to your lfs i think they could have worked something out.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I shouldnt let your fish die of starvation due to your emotions if you care about your fish that much give him away

Opps *you

You dont have a petco or petsmart near you

What town do you live in

Not comfortable sharing that, you're not going to prove me wrong or prove any point by it. It's 60 miles away, too far to drive to save 25¢ a fish when I get 15mpg max. I'm not really looking for feeding solutions being I'm pretty much past my issues because i only owe another $100 on my truck. I'm just trying to find out if I can save him.

The only thing i could suggest if you arnt already doing it is to feed your big guy at night. Clown knifes are more nocturnal so that might help and feed him when the lights are off.

Ok if you dont mind i would love an update :)

So is this the clown knife in a 55 gallon? You have a lot more issues than his feeding. He's SEVERELY stunted. At three years old he should be much larger than 13". Many people report their clowns being over 1.5-2 feet in length by three years old. This is a fish that requires a massive multiple hundred gallon tank or pond, not shoved into a 55 gallon.

If I were you I'd look at trying to rehome him to anyone who would take him that has proper knowledge and can care for him. It truly is in the best interest of the fish even if it isn't what you want to hear or do. Otherwise it's just torturing this animal.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I haven't updated my tanks on here in a while, it's like a 150ish tank and he's probably closer to 14-16" I haven't measured him in a while, not very good at eyeballing measurements. He's a little more active this morning, but I don't think he's eaten anything.

You shouldn't keep pets you can't feed...plain and simple..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with everything here, if he is in a 55 gallon it's way to small for him. If you can't feed him, get rid of him. Find him a home that can properly care for him. I understand that money issues happen, and you're only sixteen........ However if you can't afford 6 bucks a week to buy him feeder fish, you shouldn't be keeping him.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom