Need help right now!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
my rainbow shark has lost most of the colour from his fins. they used to be red but now they are whitish clear. whats wrong with him????

Can you answer the following first please?

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).- No need for this one... You already mentioned what was going on
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

1-it is a rainbow shark and its fins are changing from red to white
2-temp-75,dont know others
3-20 gallons and its been running 7 months
4-fluval 2 plus underwater filter(for tanks up too 24 galons)
5-11,6 rosy red minnows,3 swordtails(1 fry)(normally 4,1 is in breeding tank)1 golden algea eater,and the shark.i also have 1 extremely passive(shes the least aggresive in the tank)
6-yesterday,1 bucket(water change,i change 1 bucket every 2 days)gravel vac,last week
7-about a month
8-no
9-i feed them hbh shrimp pellets and tetramin tropical flakes,have not changed recently

just checked,nitrates are at .1ppm,nitrites are at .3ppm and ammonia is .1ppm.ph is 7.3

what kind of test kit are you using? I've not seen any that get down to .1. I'd be willing to bet that you're seeing stress. Rainbow sharks need a bigger tank. They're very active swimmers and really need a 4' tank to be able to 'excercise'.

Any ammonia and/or nitrite is not good. You should do water changes to get those down. I'm still interested as to what kind of test you're using. If it's strips, which it sounds like since I've never seen liquid that precise, then you may have less, or more, ammonia/nitrite than you're reporting since strips are notoriously innacurate.

im not entirely sure if its .1 but the colour is really light,and they are strips.the shark is in my 20 until it can be moved up too a 60 semiaggressive,its too small right now and probably wouldnt.there is an australian silverfish in the 60 which has killed much bigger fish than the shark(4 small angels and a 4 inch blue gourami)

Rookie is right. Rainbow sharks will lose the color in their fins and sometimes even their entire bodies when they are under stress. They are pretty hardy though so if you find whatever is stressing it and correct the issue, it should color right back up pretty quickly.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the Golden Algae Eater. The Golden Algae Eater is a color variation of the same species that is the Chinese Algae Eater.

The Chinese Algae Eater is a fish that is actually not very good at eating algae, and they do in fact become semi-aggressive when they reach full size.

I'd be willing to bet that your Golden Algae Eater may be conflicting with the shark and causing stress to the shark.

Stress is definitely the cause. Go out and buy the API freshwater master kit, and let's get your water parameters under control. This is only the 1st step... But go ahead and do a 50% water change. Also, what type of dechlorinator do you use?

i leave the bucket out for 24hours so the chlorine goes away.i moved my shark to my quarintine/fry tank this morning and his fins are alredy looking more red.ill watch out for any aggression from my algea eater,though i doubt thats the problem,from what i saw they get along very well,and will often share my sharks cave.

Back
Top Bottom