New fish, clamped fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night, I recieved 9 3-4" AC's from a friend who is moving out of town (I already had about 10 labs in my 70g) This morning, I noticed that the yellow lab I got from my friend has a clamped fin. All other fish look healthy. Searched online, coldn't find any info about what sort of treatment to use, or whether or not it is contagious to my other fish.

My questions are:

1. What is causing this problem? (I'll have water parameters tonight)

2. What can I do to fix the problem?

3. What can I do to treat the clamped fin?

Thanks!

-J

Hiya jratuszn.

Clamped fins are a sign of stress. Its kinda impossible to say what it is that's stressing that one fish tho; my guess is the move itself, but it could be a sign of disease, water parameter issues, aggression by other fish...

I'm glad to hear that the clamped fin does not inherently mean there is a disease present in my tank. I'll know my water parameters tonight, and I've been feeding anti-parasite pellets just in case.

Thanks for the reply,

-J

Yeah, its not an automatic sign of disease. When I got my 2 gold angelfish, I picked them up from Petsmart (was a pity purchase LOL). They had clamped fins for 2 weeks! But there was nothing wrong with them; it was simply the stress of the horrible Petsmart tank they were in, then the move to my QT which was pretty bare. I've had em since May, and they are fat healthy pigs and have always been once they went into the main tank.

It must've been the stress of the move. The lab is now swimming fine, with both fins. Thanks!

-J

Back
Top Bottom