Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New help with phosphate!!

Hey folks new to this forum been keeping a 55 stocked with plants and plant loving fish I recently got a new light set up and have a d.i.y CO2 system, but now I have mad algae growth especially on my plants. I have tested for phosphate and I am sitting at a mad 5.0 ppm so I have been looking online for fixes and products to help me combat this and I have hit a wall now that I know that water changes will be seemingly useless due to the fact that my tap water is 2.0 ppm so I was hoping to ask out loud if any of you folks have any ideas how I can get my tank under control..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have high phosphates and have had problems with algae, as well. Only thing I have tried that has helped is a seachem product called Phosguard. Itís small little beads that soak up the phosphates. You put them in a media bag and place it in your filter. Lasts about a month. Something to look into.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds more like your new lights tbh as a thought. Ferts / CO2 are usually dosed in excess (ie will get a test reading) for planted tanks ime. Reducing light duration / intensity Iíve found helps.

I havenít run diy CO2 but find with pressurised CO2 that good water flow helps. I now run a diffuser either side of tank.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sounds more like your new lights tbh as a thought. Ferts / CO2 are usually dosed in excess (ie will get a test reading) for planted tanks ime. Reducing light duration / intensity Iíve found helps.

I havenít run diy CO2 but find with pressurised CO2 that good water flow helps. I now run a diffuser either side of tank.
I have take my light time down to 8 hours and I have added more air flow I was planning at some point to move to CO2 tanks but they two defuser idea is great thanks alot.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartzy2 View Post
I have high phosphates and have had problems with algae, as well. Only thing I have tried that has helped is a seachem product called Phosguard. Itís small little beads that soak up the phosphates. You put them in a media bag and place it in your filter. Lasts about a month. Something to look into.
Thanks alot! I have ordered some and I'll be trying them out asap. I will let you know how that works out.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So I I got my delivery in the mail and it's says not to use with phosphate buffers in the tank.. now I have some crushed coral in my canister filter to bring up the pH my fish like it at 7 but is the crushed coral perhaps adding extra phosphates to my tank?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

Hi again. Good question. Unfortunately, I have no experience with crushed coral. Maybe someone else can chime in here on this.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Did a quick google search and got some info. Since crushed coral Is mostly used in salt water it does effect your phosphate levels.

ďUnfortunately many types of rock (not live rock fortunately!) such as dead reef rock (base rock) and coral based rock/crushed coral used in saltwater aquariums can have high levels of precipitated phosphates and act as slow-release phosphate reservoirs. Phosphates contained in these usually slowly dissolve into the water over time.Ē

So I think that answers that. Anyone else?

Tags
ate, phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com