Sleeping sickness HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a tiger barb who went from a beautiful well rounded girl to a thin (anorexia comes to mind), unresponsive, utterly pitiful little fish. :cry:

i have her seperated from my other fish but what caused it and what can i do to keep the problem from spreding? i don't want the rest of my fish to end up like this :(

One cause of thinness can be internal parasites. What are your parameters and what other symtoms does the fish show.

i have no idea what my peramiters are, never owned or used a test kit, but the tank has been running since late november. all the other fish are fine tho (or appear to be anyway)

as for symtoms shes lethargic, is swimming weakly (got caught in the filters return flow), pupils look cloudy, colors seem muted on the body oddly the fins are still really bright almost neon orange, skinny like i said.

anyway i have a movie since my camera cant do photos too well.
clicky!

Could it be stress? do you have a heater in your tank?

My poor guppies acted like that because (stupid) me didn't have a heater...

don't need a heater my room stays in the low to mid 80's lol

Pinky said:
don't need a heater my room stays in the low to mid 80's lol

Ah, but your water temperature sure doesn't. ;) A heater is a good thing to have.

I think I'd have to agree with Zagz' original diagnosis. She looks very thin and weak, which internal parasites will do. You can try treating with a medication such as Jungles Parasite Clear Tablets and see if she perks up at all.

Otherwise, you may want to consider euthanizing the fish, if you are okay with doing so. Sometimes with parasites, the fish is beyond help. There is a sticky at the top of this page that will give you your options.

HTH, sorry about your fish. :(

well i came home to see she had passed on :(

can i treat the rest of the fish who shared the tank with quick cure as a precaution? i'm not really up on all the fish meds, haven't ever really needed them, the last (treatable) sick fish i had was like 3+ years ago

Quick cure won't really do anything to help you in this case. If you want, you can feed a medicated anti-parasite food. This is the best course of action for treating internal parasites anyways, and will not cause any harm to the fish. Just make sure not to feed over a long time continuously.

Back
Top Bottom