Spotty tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyTrio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I’m Joh and I just joined you all during my lunch break. I was Googleing my Oranda’s ailment and saw similar posts on this forum that had some great advice. I was hoping you all could help me with my little

He had a single spot on his dorsal fin but it had since resolved. It cleared up overnight. Yesterday I noticed three spots on the right side of his tail fin. No white spots have ever manifested on his body. He had some on his wen, which I heard is common when they are experiencing a growth spurt. Ammonia was a strong 25ppm yesterday. I attributed that to adding a new fish to the tank and the BB was playing catch-up to the new amount of output. I did a 60% water change, added Prime and Stability.

He’s eating and active. All other fish in the tank have no symptoms. Nitrites were a bit high yesterday before the water change (second to lowest reading; I forget the actual measurement for the API fresh water master test kit.)

I have a picture with the spots attached. He shares the 50 gal tank with two other goldies.

Should I increase the temp and treat with salt? Treat for fin rot?

I look forward to your advice!

Attachments

• 9EFD20B8-FFBF-4111-9369-8870380F93CF.jpg
    9EFD20B8-FFBF-4111-9369-8870380F93CF.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 21
Here's a better pic for y'all.

Attachments

• IMG_7354.jpg
    IMG_7354.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 16
Might be ich. If more spots develop, start treating with aquarium salt and increase the temp.

25 ppm is very high for a fish tank. That will kill a lot of fish very fast. Did you cycle your tank (build up beneficial bacteria that eat up ammonia and nitrites)? It's very important when keeping fish.

Thank you for the response! When I got home last night, I measured the ammonia levels again and they were back to zero, thankfully. This morning, it was still zero. I treated with Prime and Stability. I also added another ammonia eliminating media to my filter.

When creating this tank, I used some media from another established tank thinking it would be enough (It was not :/.) To remedy this, I added Stability every day for the past week or so and the levels have been evening out, though the addition of the new fish threw everything for a loop for that day.

Ok, good.

Is there anything that might be stressing out your goldfish? Are any of the other goldies displaying white spots?

I hope your goldfish gets better!

Ok, good.

Is there anything that might be stressing out your goldfish? Are any of the other goldies displaying white spots?

I hope your goldfish gets better!

Other than the recent, but strong, spike of ammonia, I can't think of anything else that might be freaking him out right now :( But my other goldfish are ok at the moment, which I'm happy for. Their scales and fins are spotless. Hopefully this treatment will keep it from spreading to another one of his tank mates.

Thank you for your concern! After a day of treatment, his spots are already appearing less defined. I will keep you posted :)

Back
Top Bottom