Tank wiped out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need some advice! I brought my new angel home Wed. and he seems terrified of everything. He is larger than I expected, and my guess is that he's never been alone. His tankmates are 5 neons and 4 cories. He seems a little freaked out by them, and he won't eat. He mostly just hovers in one area.
I have noticed that at night after I turn off the tank light he explores a little, but I still haven't seen him attempt to eat. I've offered frozen shrimp, pellets, and two different types of flakes. Btw, I don't keep the tank light on him much, just a lamp beside the tank. He hides when the light is on.
He looks healthy except a little wear and tear on the tips of his fins..lfs owner said it was from shipping. She got him and one other angel in Wednesday, and the other one is eating, but he's in a tank with her other larger fish that are for sale.
This morning I noticed a little something on the tips of his fin, and I'm not sure if it's new growth or cotton fungus forming. I've done a pwc, and today I dosed salt...less than recommended amount bc of corys.

Question: What else can I do to help him? I know that all the stress is wreaking havoc on his immune system and making him vulnerable. Pwc's are just adding to the stress. I'm sorry for the long post...just trying to offer as much info as possible. Params are great, Amm-0, trite-0, trate-5. Please help:(

I do agree with you, the stress on the fish made him weak and vulnerable. Do you have decorations in the tank?, some times adding some fake plants to increase his hiding places or to make him feel tha he is in a more natural environment helps....
Offer him some blood worms, most of cichilds will love them.... Just buy frozen ones, not freeze dry,,, freeze dry trend to constipate the fish.

I hope that he starts to eat, that is the best at this point to get him better.

I do agree with you, the stress on the fish made him weak and vulnerable. Do you have decorations in the tank?, some times adding some fake plants to increase his hiding places or to make him feel tha he is in a more natural environment helps....
Offer him some blood worms, most of cichilds will love them.... Just buy frozen ones, not freeze dry,,, freeze dry trend to constipate the fish.

I hope that he starts to eat, that is the best at this point to get him better.

He has plenty of cover. I chose plants that are tall so he can sort of weave in and out as he chooses. Would frozen shrimp be as luring? The only other things I have on hand other than pellets and flakes are freeze dried bloodworms and frozen shrimp. I wonder if I could put a couple of them in a cup with a little tank water and let them rehydrate, then offer them. Would they still cause constipation? I will get frozen worms asap.
About medicating, will the salt be sufficient?

he'll adjust in time. just be very calm around the tank and give him plenty of hiding spots. sorry about the wipeout though! i had that exact thing happen to me... bought two cories, didn't QT, and lost EVERYONE to columnaris except one very lucky little glo-lite tetra that i still have today. i've just bought my first cories since them, a little under a year later, and they are getting QT'd for a LONG time lol. definitely does teach you something about the importance of QT.

he'll adjust in time. just be very calm around the tank and give him plenty of hiding spots. sorry about the wipeout though! i had that exact thing happen to me... bought two cories, didn't QT, and lost EVERYONE to columnaris except one very lucky little glo-lite tetra that i still have today. i've just bought my first cories since them, a little under a year later, and they are getting QT'd for a LONG time lol. definitely does teach you something about the importance of QT.

I really hope you're right. My main concern is the stress he's having while he's getting adjusted. Sorry for your losses. QTing is so hard for impulsive folks like myself, but I learned the hard way also. What type of cories do you have? I love my panda's.

Good news!! He finally ate something!:dance:! It was just a flake or two, but at least he went for it.
His top fin looks a little worse. I know for a fact that he's not getting picked on, as there are no aggressive tankmates. It looks like the spines are splitting a little more than they were when I got hime. Along with the salt I also dosed Melafix a few minutes ago.
If anyone knows of something better please let me know.

Update:
I just went to check on him and out of nowhere there are hundreds of tiny white worm looking things swimming everywhere??? What on earth???

glad to hear that he's eating! as for the white things... sounds like planaria worms. honestly, if it's just fin damage i'd say don't treat with anything and just keep the water clean. it'll heal up on its own. :) i had panda's actually, but now i have julii cories. i wanted to try pandas again, but i couldn't find them again. oh well, my juliis are awesome too! :)

glad to hear that he's eating! as for the white things... sounds like planaria worms. honestly, if it's just fin damage i'd say don't treat with anything and just keep the water clean. it'll heal up on its own. :) i had panda's actually, but now i have julii cories. i wanted to try pandas again, but i couldn't find them again. oh well, my juliis are awesome too! :)

Unfortunately I lost my julii's to my columnaris outbreak, but they are one of my favorites too. I'm going to do another pwc tomorrow and I'm hoping it doesn't freak the angel out too much. I really have to pick a name for him. He seems fine now. The sudden outbreak of worms didn't seem to have an effect. I'm overfeeding now because of the weird situation with him being so reluctant to eat, so I really need to do some house keeping. Hopefully he'll survive. Thanks for responding.

Thanks guys. This is just awful.

How in the world did I get planaria worms in my tank? The dw I bought a while back was completely dry, sitting on a shelf, and I haven't added any live plants. Come to think of it, I didn't see them before I started feeding frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms. Is there a chance that's where they came from? How do I get rid of them? I've been vacuuming and doing at least 40% pwc's every couple of days, but when I dosed Melafix yesterday, a few minutes later they were swimming around in my water column. BTW, all my other fish are fine.

keep doing water changes and gravel vacs, and add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. (skip this if you have scaless fish) it seems it is caused by overfeeding/too much access food on the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom