[WARNING] 'Hole in Head' disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandimu22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.

My 4 year old Oranda passed away after about 3 months of being Ill and I'm clueless as to what exactly happened. So symptoms started out as lethargy and lack of appetite on and off for approximately a month which at this time I did discover fluctuating ammonia levels of which I managed to maintain below .05ppm each water change (once a week). From this, she started to pinecone at the upper part of her abdomen on one side which grew very slowly for a couple of weeks. After this she then began swelling on the other side however the pinecone appearance disappeared for the most part. During this stage she did eat on and off every few days. For the following six weeks she then didn't eat anymore and stayed stationary at the bottom of the tank. Water levels were kept perfect (tested every two days). She bloated significantly in this time with swelling appearing around her abdomen and eyes. In the final week of her life her scales became separated and she developed a lesion on her wen. On her final day the wen began to split apart and a few hours before her death it opened up (as seen in the image). Under the wen it was an empty cavity with a white film on what I believe to be the surface of her brain?

From these symptoms I'm hoping someone can potentially tell me if this is hole in Head disease? Other than this I'm thinking it might have been a bacterial infection caused by a weakened immune system, or maybe she ate some substrate?

I should also note that I have two other gold fish that resided in the same tank for the first two months who have shown symptoms in that time and are otherwise perfectly healthy.

Attachments

• 20210528_175347.jpg
    20210528_175347.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210528_175549.jpg
    20210528_175549.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom