What the h#!! is killing my fish?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Most importantly: is there a cost-efficient, general medication that will treat a 75-gallon tank? The great die-off has continued unabated and I can't figure out what is going on unless it is the dreaded fish TB. The dwarf neon rainbows are most commonly affected. I've lost 3 this week, and all apparently healthy. I just walk past the tank sometime later that day and there's suddenly a dead fish. Over the last 3 weeks, I've also lost 3 guppies and 1 longfin leopard danio. The leopard danio wasted away and hung in there for weeks until one day he was drifting aimlessly around the tanks. But the rest of the fish showed no symptoms that I could catch. 2 weeks ago I treated the tank with a general anti-parasitic (General Cure--metronidazole and copper) and managed to wipe out my ghost shrimp because I didn't read the directions closely. Even my @#$*& snail seems ill! Every morning when I turn on the lights, the snail starts to open up and then closes back up. It hasn't moved in over a week. My dwarf gourami is pale and thin, but active and eating well. One of the 3 surviving dwarf rainbows looks like it has spinal changes (kind of a humpback effect) and seems stressed, so I was sure she would be dead this morning. A few of the celebes rainbows look super-thin and have some of the pinecone effect on their abdomens, but they all seem active and eat well. Water quality tests over the last few weeks turn up no surprises: 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, pH 8.4, nitrates 20ppm (comes out of the tap that high). I do 40% water changes weekly and use Wardley Dechlor each time. What is going on?? Is it something I'm doing or have I just been cursed w/ a plague? I did switch from a canister filter to a HOB filter (a Penguin 330, rated for 75 gal tanks) and I have an extra little HOB just for additional filtering.

So if it is the dreaded fish TB, is there anything I can do besides just waiting for everyone to die? Isolating sick fish doesn't seem to matter, since none of the fish that have died showed any symptoms I caught. I REALLY don't want to have to try to disinfect an entire tank.

Wasting is not a good sign. Treat with kanamycin in the food. If a fish dies, remove it ASAP, TB spreads when fish eat the dead ones.

I got some kanamycin capsules at the store (neither of the closest lfs sells medicated food...) and it has directions on how to soak food with the meds to make my own medicated food. That would give me an 8-day supply. Should that be enough for preventive care? Everyone cross your fingers for me...

Back
Top Bottom