whats the best way to get rid of ich????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig blomfield

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, my friend has an outbreak of ich in his tank, any advice on how to get rid of it please, I am a beginner so cant tell him much about it, luckily I havnt had to deal with it yet.

Raise the temp slowly to 86 degrees F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Gravel vac every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for minimum of 2 weeks

I just got over ich I raised my tank's temperature to 88 degrees SLOWLY!!! 1-2 degrees every day. And added 2tbsp of aquarium salt for evry 10 gallons of water you have and after a water change you gotta add new salt but only for how much water you removed. So if you have a 10gal tank and have 2 tbsp of salt and you do a 50% water change you gotta ad 1tbsp of salt. GOOD Luck . I did this for a month and 3 of my neon tetras survived. I had 4 tetras & 4 guppies & 1 Cherry Barb. So 3/9 lived

I completely agree with the previous posts! warm water, AQUARIUM salt and regular water changes works WONDERS!!!! I just bought an angel fish 3 weeks ago that had ich so i treated her this very way and she is ich free and healthy as can be! When I first started keeping fish I didn't know about this method of treating ick so I got maradel coppersafe or whatever and it killed more fish than it saved! I'll never use it again! atleast not for ich

Thank you for this information, we have alot more understanding of this desease now, just one more question: does the salt have to be aquarium salt or can we use normal table salt? Also, do you think clown loaches can deal with the salt content? Thanks again

Loaches would have to be treated at half-dose.

No, you cannot use regular table salt, unless it is non-iodized. Use aquarium salt, rock salt or kosher salt.

Back
Top Bottom