Fish identity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Themonsterisme

Aquarium Advice Freak
This guy was apparently living in the pump area in my oceanic bio cube 29 gal tank I just got a week ago...no idea what kind of fish it is...any ideas?

Attachments

• image-1277561570.jpg
    image-1277561570.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2837313930.jpg
    image-2837313930.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1310805769.jpg
    image-1310805769.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image-38299393.jpg
    image-38299393.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image-104437826.jpg
    image-104437826.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 142
Lol why was he living in there? That's kind of wierd! Did you find him when you got.home or something? I never seen him before..

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the tank from someone and apparently he didn't mention other fish ...was doing a water change and pouring water in the filter area to reduce the amount of kick up from the sand and all of a sudden the fish just about jumped into my hand and back into the tank!!! No idea what it is

Also there is some kind of white sack in picture 1 that looks like a spider egg sack...there is a total of 3 on the same rock...any clues ?

Not sure of the scientific name but it looks like a bullet goby. well, maybe, the eyes look a little different......

+1 on aptasia. I think it looks like a molly or platy..some people feed then to saltwater fish and it's been said they can adapt to saltwater..wouldn't that be something! Lmao Haha..seriously though u should take care of the aptasia though..Lol.

What's easiest way to get rid of the aptasia? There is two of them right next to each other...vinegar and a syringe? Also what makes them bad for the tank? Just aggressive or grow a lot ?

And the fish seems to have been in the tank for almost a year the old tank owner said...so if it's a freshwater fish I'd say he is adapting well...and apparently it had been in the filter area for almost 6 months...how in the heck was it getting food!?

Aptasia are both aggressive and will take over your tank in a short amount of time. They sell a product called aptasia x. Try that..people have also has luck with injecting boiling water..of its just on one rock in would personally take the rock out and let it die off. ( I bleach myne) but a lot of people will advise against that. I've also sat it in vinager water to kill nuisance things.

Well, it is definitely not a Molly or platy. You can tell from the placement of the fins and the body shape. It is correct that a Molly could live there, though. They are actually saltwater fish that are capable of moving into freshwater. Most species, anyway.
The aiptasia topic is well covered so I'll skip that.
I've been scouring the internet for an identification on that fish, with little success. I think I've at least found relatives, if not the actual species.
Pay close attention to the placement of the dorsal and anal fins. The way they are positioned, almost right next to the caudal (tail) fin is something only seen in a few groups such as puffers and triggers. My first thought was juvenile puffer, but the age would seem to preclude that.
If you could get an image that shows the number of dorsal fin rays, and on that shows the mouth clearly, I could do some more looking. From the pictures posted, it does seem to share general mouth shape with puffers. Can you describe it's swimming style and general behavior?

Well I've already said it twice but I am almost 95% positive that is fundulus heteroclitus. They are an estuarine species and would have no issues surviving in full marine.

I missed your species post. I think you're right. Shape, fin placement and color patterns all look right.
But you gotta admit, there are some anatomical similarities. Lol

I missed your species post. I think you're right. Shape, fin placement and color patterns all look right.
But you gotta admit, there are some anatomical similarities. Lol

Haha sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like you were wrong I was just stating everyone seemed to be ignoring my posts lol. I did a couple research products with the mummichog and they will live in just about any water. But yes I see the anatomical similarities :).

Well I've already said it twice but I am almost 95% positive that is fundulus heteroclitus. They are an estuarine species and would have no issues surviving in full marine.

+1 google I'm in 100% agreeance with bribo12 Lol.

Unfortunately got home to the mystery fish being devoured by a conch...fish was excited for food this morning and would follow me around when I was doing some cleaning...was pretty excited about my new mystery fish to only find it as a meal for the conch tonight ...bummed

Back
Top Bottom