Slug like creatures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I have a 30 gallon reef and in it at night I seen probably hundreds of little slug like creatures. I assume they aren't harmful but can I have too many and if so what can be done?

thanks
Jeff

They're good for your tank - they eat algae.

The more the better. They will only reproduce so long as there is enough food supply in your tank. Like nature, it will balance its own population out.

Nothing to worry about! :D

Thanks ,, thats kinda what I thought but it just seemed like there were so many LOL. Maybe thats why I don't have any algae after 4 months of being set up. Tanks looks good except for some red and brown slime algae I get once in a while.

thanks
Jeff

Red slime is another thing - do a search for Cyano or Cyano bacteria for some good reading (on a not so pretty topic).

Brown algae will go away in due-time.

:arrow: If they aren't harming anything - they can only do good.

Could you be more specific on the slug creatures? What color are they? I wouldn't be so quick to blow them off as harmless if they are coming out in mass quanities.

slug

They don't really look like them. They kinda look like a snail with out a shell. for some reason the pic won't show up :(

Ok, that sounds like Stomatella varia. A very good algae eating snail. They are very prolific and harmless.

Cool,, thanks.. thats probably what is keeping most algae away. Now I just need to catch my stupid fire worm and all will be great LOL

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom