unknown (and fast) hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -- There are two little creatures that arrived with the LR I recently added:

1. I got only a glimpse of him, but it sort of had the body of a garden slug, and the head of a shrimp, was all black, crawls on the bottom, hides between the rocks, and is lightning fast.

2. I got a better look at this other one, which if it were outside I would think was a caterpillar -- segmented body with a bunch of feet along the sides. It was light-brownish all over though, and fairly fast as well, crawling on the bottom and hiding.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of them yet, but can anyone give me some hints to help narrow my search? Thanks.

Matt

Thanks for the tips -- I do believe the first is a mantis as you suggest. Since posting this, I've heard the little devil tapping at something. Any suggestions on how to get rid of him?

As for the second, I looked up what a bristle worm looks like, and it doesn't quite fit. What I saw was much fatter and shorter. More of a fat, squishy caterpillar than a centipede-like-thing. Can this still be a bristle worm? If so, is it an "undesirable" like the mantis?

Thanks, All.
Matt

FAT? CATERPILLAR? I smell a fireworm or a bristle. But neither are super fast. Quick enough to get outta view though.

sounds like a bristle worm to me. I have seen several variations of them that look very different. Anyway if it is a bristle, they are good for the tank, they are detrivores and will also sift the substrate for you...

Back
Top Bottom