Verification of a couple unknown creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edljedi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a couple things I've come across while trying to ID a hitch hiking crab and I'm not sure what they are.

This one was pretty grippy to the tub.

image-3949140375.jpg

The shape kind of looks like a mantis shrimp but not sure. It's pretty small.

image-2337678542.jpg

I have some helpful bristle worms but this one was different.

image-3087130729.jpg

Pretty sure this is an aiptasia but it hasn't moved (except to shrink into the rock to hide sometimes) and the peppermint shrimp hasn't eaten it. Not sure if the peppermint shrimp hasn't because it has been hiding on the other side of the tank or it's not an aiptasia.

image-1106588468.jpg

Looks like some kind of shrimpy thing but not sure.

image-3063897916.jpg

I think the red stuff is some sort of sponge but not sure about the green. The rock was tan when I put it in.

image-525142460.jpg

I also have some oval white flat things that only show up at night on the tank glass and eat the algae. They're pretty small, maybe a millimeter or so, and I've been able to narrow down they are not any of the common flatworms which are "bad." Going to try again tonight to get some decent photos.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Couple better pictures

Was able to get some better pictures of some of them.

These two pictures are of the white oval things.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

These two pictures are of the thing that looks like a small mantis shrimp. Edit: Just noticed the sticky with the link to the reefs.org FAQ. Had these ID'd as an amphipod.

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Last edited:
The small round white things, it's hard to tell from the pics. Look up chiton and see if that a what you have. Or could be stomatella snails, so look that up too.
The tiny little black thing is so difficult for me to see, I'm on my phone. I would look up pics of baby mantis and see if they look like what you have. Really, if you can't figure out what it is, I would take it out rather than risk something running rampant in my tank. It may be tiny now, but depending on what it is, it could get much bigger. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Hope you find your answers!! :)

Beengirl said:
The small round white things, it's hard to tell from the pics. Look up chiton and see if that a what you have. Or could be stomatella snails, so look that up too.
The tiny little black thing is so difficult for me to see, I'm on my phone. I would look up pics of baby mantis and see if they look like what you have. Really, if you can't figure out what it is, I would take it out rather than risk something running rampant in my tank. It may be tiny now, but depending on what it is, it could get much bigger. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Hope you find your answers!! :)

I had looked up chiton but they looked vastly larger. I don't know whether the white round things are baby somethings or full grown. My experience with sea life has been such that the baby stuff doesn't necessarily look like the adult stuff which makes it fun. I have stomatella snails (including some baby ones) and they are definitely not the same.

I searched for baby mantis shrimp photo and all the ones that looked like mine turned out to be identified as amphipods.

Thanks.

edljedi said:
I had looked up chiton but they looked vastly larger. I don't know whether the white round things are baby somethings or full grown. My experience with sea life has been such that the baby stuff doesn't necessarily look like the adult stuff which makes it fun. I have stomatella snails (including some baby ones) and they are definitely not the same.

I searched for baby mantis shrimp photo and all the ones that looked like mine turned out to be identified as amphipods.

Thanks.

Well the amphipod thing is great! Waaaaayy better than a mantis. Sorry couldn't help you with the other thing!!

Back
Top Bottom