What are these and what can i do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjboer7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think the first one is an alge but I'm not sure what the other two are they almost look like a young polyp but I don't think so

Attachments

• image-1993734717.jpg
    image-1993734717.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 188
  • image-2920696479.jpg
    image-2920696479.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 207
  • image-92816491.jpg
    image-92816491.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 199
kjboer7 said:
I think the first one is an alge but I'm not sure what the other two are they almost look like a young polyp but I don't think so

2nd and 3rd is apistia....and ALOT of it. They are pest anenomes, and they can be killed by using apistia X, lime juice in a syringe, or very hot water injected into them

Ahhhh crap I have like 4 or 5 large spots I can see :( this sucks

Thank you gboy I hit them with hot water I'm just hoping they don't spawn all over but I guess it couldn't get worse

kjboer7 said:
Thank you gboy I hit them with hot water I'm just hoping they don't spawn all over but I guess it couldn't get worse

Yea! Youv got a pretty bad case there, but itll be fine. Do you have alot of coral?

Yeah there's like 7 big pieces and like 10 small ones so it's a med amount

Im not totally sure this is Apistia it looks more stringy then like an anomie (can't spell doesn't look right) kinda like algae more then anything but again never seen it before and the hot water didn't really help at all. Any other ideas

You know what it is for sure encrusting Gorgonian at least that what it looks like when I look at other pictures , only question is how lucky am I that stuff looks like its going to grow like crazy

+1 encrusting gorgonian. It spreads everywhere and will cover up other corals. I have to peel some of mine off occasionally.

Does it have a mat with polyps coming out of it, or is it just groups of those brown polyps coming out of the rock? If there is no common fleshy thing covering the rock that the polyps are all attached to, I would say it's aptasia anemones.
Do you know what GSP (green star polyps) looks like? That's an encrusting gorgonian.

There's no common thing lol but there not thick there very stringy

I would use Kalkwasser. I would mix it into a thick paste and use a syringe (less the steel tip) and squirt a little of the paste on each one. It will close up on it, then cover it with another glob. I would do this to about 10-15 or so every few days (any more and the kalkwasser may effect your water parameters) until they are gone. They spread and overcome surfaces and sting corals they come in contact with.

Could I just remove the rock it's on I'd loose some cool corals but it seems easier

if they are isolated to one rock, yes. Just scrape the corals off and glue them to different rocks. take that rock out and burn the nems with a bic lighter.

And then can I put the rock back in my sump for a couple weeks then back in the tank? Iats on about three rocks but only one has corals

Back
Top Bottom