What is this incredible fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dice336

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this fish in the beach waters of South Florida.

I would love to identify and learn more about this species.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 432
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 403
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 478
Not your pics I'm assuming because they are photoshopped for sure. But did you really see one in person? I've heard they aren't actually "real".

1.) Technically it's a slug.

2.) It's Toxic.

3.) It's not native for Southern Florida, but found in the Pacific Ocean and in some eastern European countries as well as the east and south coast of Africa.

4.) Do your homework before you troll.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation AbsoluteFaye.

I noticed this Blue sea dragon nudibranch swimming next to a jellyfish and now I understand why.

Its the first time I see one here on the beach.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 468
AbsoluteFaye said:
Not your pics I'm assuming because they are photoshopped for sure. But did you really see one in person? I've heard they aren't actually "real".

Good eye! Yeah not sure what his deal is..

Yes, these are all my pictures that I have cropped for the purpose of showing the creature. I even have a video if you don't believe that these pictures are real. I don't understand the hostility from some people on this forum.

dice336 said:
Yes, these are all my pictures that I have cropped for the purpose of showing the creature. I even have a video if you don't believe that these pictures are real. I don't understand the hostility from some people on this forum.

Alright lets see this video then.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Make a YouTube link to it

They are real and live aquaria used to sell them... but they only eat jelly fish and themselves. Though I don't think they have been documented in Florida s coastal waters. I maybe wrong bit I would report the finding to fish and game..

1.) Technically it's a slug.

2.) It's Toxic.

3.) It's not native for Southern Florida, but found in the Pacific Ocean and in some eastern European countries as well as the east and south coast of Africa.

4.) Do your homework before you troll.

1. A sea slug belongs in the class "nudibranch"

2. Don't confuse toxic with venomous. They are venomous.

3. They are distributed all across the globe but are found more often in those places you listed. If you look at the prey of the Blue Dragon you'll see that it could easily have been washed up on Florida.

Everyone needs to calm down. I do hope we can see a YouTube video, solely because they are incredible creatures.

Also, that Jellyfish looks very much like the Blue Button (Porpita Porpita).

I googled this slug and in images, a picture if this slug right next to one of those exact same jellyfish came up. Very cool looking slug.

That video is cool. I've seen a couple of pics of these things before, but I've never seen one moving. It moves in a very odd way!!

Perhaps a few apologies are in store for jumping to conclusions. Awesome creature btw.

Anyone else see the oil sheen in the water? Looks like horizon disaster is still showing remnants.

Back
Top Bottom