What kind of coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked this up today at the LFS and they weren't sure what it was I have my ideas but I want some opinions.

The coral on the square plug to the right of the zoas.

1011921smallqv8.jpg

Taking the easy way out and hoping another mod will figure it out for you :p

I lent my Borneman gook to a friend but eveni if I had it I'm not sure I could tell from that photo.

I've been searching and have found a few possibles but nothing for sure. I can't get a better pic as the cam I have SUCKS. It does not like doing close up pics.

Dang, Fluff, you were the one person I thought would know for sure. It was one of those rare gems in the $9.95 section at BRK. I couldn't pass it up. I have had a few people say it is Undata but I don't think it is. The growth pattern is a little different. Another person said confusa but I'm not sure about that either. Maybe after it has grown a little more I will be able to get a better pic and then find out what it is. I really like it too...

Sorry I couldn't help. I really don't know many of the sps but am learning thanks to you guys!

The base is blueish and the polyps are red. What ever it is it is awesome in person. The way it is growing on the plug it appears to be an encrusting coral rather then a branching one. I'm really leaning towards some kind of Monti though I can't find one for sure that looks like it.

And I was gonna say monti but was sure I'd be wrong. lol Phyl, don't know if you all remember her or not, had one that was purple that looked very simular in texture.

Can you get a macro shot of it with and without polyps extended? I have a hunch, but rather be in the ball park first. Also, how did you acquire the coral and under what name?

Blue and red huh? Maybe it will color up to be what they are calling the superman monti. :)

Supermans' I believe are encrusting whereas this looks to be the round edge of a plating variety, thinking along the lines of Montipora confusa.

It's not superman. I have superman and the growth pattern is completely different. My camera will not take very good macros so the pic I posted is as good as it gets. I'm leaning more towards Confusa as well but I don't know. I've never seen one with these colors...

I don't think it is a plating coral based on the way it is covering the plug. It is growing down rather then out. I have several different plating montis and this one is not like those at all.

Is it encrusting towards the bottom and then plates low (confusa does this)? I've seen several confusa's with that coloration and depending on the lighting can make it appear as a blue base...either way it really matters not without indepth skeletal information. At least you could have Genus down :)

I'm pretty sure it is Monti...what kind is the question. It doesn't appear to be plating at all. It is encrusting much like a poker star or a superman would but it has the large verrucae. It was sold as a mystery coral. The owner of the LFS wasn't there or I would know what it is..

Looks a lot like to me. In which case it is a Monti Confusa. Just looks like a frag off the side to me. However I'm kinda new to this. Whatever you have it's definitely a great buy for an amazing looking coral.

limited_montiporaconfusa_colony.jpg

Just read up on the Montipora Confusa and apparently it gets confused with this one here. Montipora Spongodes. Looks like time may tell what you have there.

IMG_4435.a.jpg

Should be a little easier to tell when it grows out a bit, but I think confusa too.

Here's a pic of a m.spongodes from Sanjay's tank.
corals-14-020608.gif

Back
Top Bottom