Rate my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J12bon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-4234362277.jpg

My 48 litre tank with 2 guppys, 2 mollies and 3 juhli corys. What do you think?

Any suggestions for another addition??

Hi there,

48 litres is only twelve gallons. That tank is stocked as is with just one molly, it's overstocked with two.

Is the tank cycled?
What is your filtration?
How often do you change your water?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi there,

48 litres is only twelve gallons. That tank is stocked as is with just one molly, it's overstocked with two.

Is the tank cycled?
What is your filtration?
How often do you change your water?

Hi Cute tank!
I have to agree ^^^
Molly's are very messy fish (high bioload/waste out put). A 12gal isn't really large enough. I would try and rehome at least one or both of them.

Thanks for your replies,

Yes the tank is cycled.
I'm using a Eheim pickup 2008 internal power filter.
I do a 25% change twice a week.

All of the fish seem happy enough, and I keep the changes frequent to make sure the bioload remains healthy, would you still suggest re-homing the Molly's?

Thanks

Thanks, I agree it dosnt look all that natural with the bridge & clear stones, when I'm able to upgrade to a big tank I'm going to do a more natural set up. I'm also considering getting another smaller tank for now to set up a SW nano reef which will obviously be a natural set up.

If you like it, then it's a 10. ;) Doesn't matter what we think. You are the one looking at it day after day. Do whatever you like the best, not what others tell you to do. There is no right or wrong way to decorate your tank.

Personally, I like it. Are those plastic or live plants? Either way I think it looks good!

Thanks very much.
I think next time I will use a finer substrate but apart from that I'm pretty pleased with it. Being a newbie I didn't want too much to have to learn about all at once & therefore opted for plastic plants however I realise there are benefits to real plants so will look to change before too long.

I can't even tell you how many changes my tanks have been through, my first tank especially. Hard to believe, looking at my tanks now, that I started off with blue gravel and bathing beauty statues as decor..... :rolleyes:

Hi LyndaB, do you know of a way to change the substrate without having to move the fish into a new tank, completely empty etc etc? seems like a big job to me.

When swapping substrates it is almost required that you remove the fish from the tank. Things will get way too murky and stress the fish out if you don't remove them.

What I do is:

- Shut the filters/heaters/lights off
- Drain the tank halfway with your gravel vac, fill a 5g bucket with the tank water
- Remove decor/plants
- Put filter media in bucket
- Net fish into 5g bucket
- Cover bucket with a towel to keep the fish from being stressed
- Drain the tank the rest of the way
- Scoop out the gravel
- Rinse your new substrate and add it to the tank
- Put your new decor in and plants
- Fill it up
- Net your fish and add them

Last edited:
Yep that is a fairly big job but not too terrible. Thanks for the advice, I may consider doing that in the new year. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom