Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
60 gallon tank restore

I acquired a free 60 gallon glass tank with a fairly nice stand. I was told the tank does not leak but the silicone seals looked terrible. I decided to strip the old silicone off and replace it. I used aquarium only sealant and followed some instructions online. Here are some before and after pics...

I've never done this before and I'm starting to freak out that it might not hold and leak all over my floor! I plan on letting the new silicone cure for over 48 hours and then test it outside with water. I don't know how old the tank is but there are no cracks in the glass at all.

Any words of encouragement to keep me from freaking out about this is much appreciated! Lol. I really want to use this tank but I'm afraid I might chicken out and not use it out of fear of a catastrophe. Especially after reading horror stories online

Thanks in advanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-259606486.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	175423   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1946306143.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	175424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-927766061.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	175425  
__________________

__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Some more pics of whole tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1897669352.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	175426   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2771233519.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	175427  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1106692531.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	175428   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-165258811.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	175429  

__________________

__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
mzzguillory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: louisiana
Posts: 131
Lol I would freak out too. You would have to fill it up and let it sit outside for a week to completly be confident it doesnt leak lol
__________________
mzzguillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzzguillory View Post
Lol I would freak out too. You would have to fill it up and let it sit outside for a week to completly be confident it doesnt leak lol
Ya that's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the reply
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
I too am waiting for my tank to cure just did it tonight after a long time of waiting I finally got my tank sealed and now a waiting game so we are in the same boat mines 125 gallons I'll be following to see how it turns out
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance1013 View Post
I too am waiting for my tank to cure just did it tonight after a long time of waiting I finally got my tank sealed and now a waiting game so we are in the same boat mines 125 gallons I'll be following to see how it turns out
Ill update as soon as I get to the testing stage. It sure was a lot of hard work removing all that old silicone as you probably know lol. Fingers crossed for both of us!
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms1085 View Post

Ill update as soon as I get to the testing stage. It sure was a lot of hard work removing all that old silicone as you probably know lol. Fingers crossed for both of us!
Oh yah it was tough took me a couple days to do it
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Well 48 hours later the tank is filled and so far so good! No leaks yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1005870493.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	175707  
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaman1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 231
There is nothing to worry about. Sounds like you did your homework and researched well. I have a 86 gallon tank I built from patio doors in my house. Been holding water for two months. Was a little nervous at first, but I also built several smaller tanks for practice.
__________________
Aquaman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms1085 View Post
Well 48 hours later the tank is filled and so far so good! No leaks yet.
Very nice I'm testing tomorrow gives me hope
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Drained the water. Glad to report no leaks! Can't wait to start filling it. I'm going to start with live rock and hopefully some marine fish at a later date. Plan on ordering live rock sometime next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1756512525.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	175894  
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms1085 View Post
Drained the water. Glad to report no leaks! Can't wait to start filling it. I'm going to start with live rock and hopefully some marine fish at a later date. Plan on ordering live rock sometime next week.
Good to hear I'll follow along to see how it turns out I'm testing mine now so far so good only water on ground is from the hose
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance1013 View Post

Good to hear I'll follow along to see how it turns out I'm testing mine now so far so good only water on ground is from the hose
Awesome! Fingers crossed for no leaks!
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
No leaks I hovered over it all day and no leaks (happy dance)
__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance1013 View Post
No leaks I hovered over it all day and no leaks (happy dance)
Yay!! Good job
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hobgob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,893
I would let it sit for at least a week before you set it up. My dad tried to reseal a tank once but he did not let it sit long enough. He set it up for a day and thought it was fine. He also didn't use a cleaning product to remove the old silicone residue before he resealed it. He just scrapes it off. But it looks great! I'm excited to see your aquascaping.
__________________
Hobgob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
I would let it sit for at least a week before you set it up. My dad tried to reseal a tank once but he did not let it sit long enough. He set it up for a day and thought it was fine. He also didn't use a cleaning product to remove the old silicone residue before he resealed it. He just scrapes it off. But it looks great! I'm excited to see your aquascaping.
Thanks for the advice!
__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hobgob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,893
No problem, sometimes people say to have a filter running also so the water is pushing against the sides.
__________________
Hobgob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Hms1085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
So I found out the tank is a 45 gallon. I thought it looked small for a 60


My live rock came today. This was my first time aquascaping. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. Plan on letting the tank run like this and continuously check parameters for a long while.

I'll post more pics when the water clears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1180103077.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	176917   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1881827261.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	176918  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-506927815.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	176919   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2888252760.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	176920  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1471112079.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	176921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-12060016.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	176922  

__________________
Hms1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vance1013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington USA
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms1085 View Post
So I found out the tank is a 45 gallon. I thought it looked small for a 60

My live rock came today. This was my first time aquascaping. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. Plan on letting the tank run like this and continuously check parameters for a long while.

I'll post more pics when the water clears
Looks good can't wait to see it with some life in there
__________________

__________________
Fish addict Forever! or FaF for short.
vance1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
60 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.