Noise from return lines into my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonhe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Pro Clear Premier Series 175 Wet Dry Sump that came with the 125 gallon tank I just purchased. After doing a bit of reading, I built my own durso stand standpipe out of 1.25" pvc, which drains through the 1" bulkhead. This attaches to 1" Flex PVC, into the side of a T, and then the front of the t goes into the sump, and the other side goes to an elbow, and then into a the sumps other drain line. I believe the previous owner modified these lines by widening the holes into slots. I am using the same pump he had, a quiet one 6000, but added a UV Sterilizer. After a bit of tuning (read: drilling holes into the durso's cap) I got the toilet flushing noise in my overflow box to go away, but now I seem to have a gurgling noise comming from these pipes in my sump. Is this a result of them draining too quickly ? Would it help if I made new lines and just drilled them? Should I consider upgrading to the quiet one 9000 to keep the lines full?

Any suggestions would be great, this is my first sump !!

Here is an image of my sump for reference....
Premier_175_without_prefilter.jpg

ALSO, FYI -- this is a going to be my new Cichlid tank, as you know, very messy eaters. I am going to add mechanical filtration into the drip trays, and possibly reduce the amount of bioballs below that for room for chemical, after I add the Bio-Stars from my old tank below that area.... if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I am all ears.

PPS -- I went with Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand (1.25-2.0mm) which I love the texture of so far. Just added it tonight, waiting for it to settle before adding my cycling fish with a bag of some of the old substate (crushed coral) from my 50 gallon cichlid tank.

The gurgling is from air in the lines. I corrected this issue on one of my sumps by adding a stand pipe on the end of the line where it goes into the sump to allow the air to escape. It is now virtually silent. Increasing the pump will probably not solve the issue.

I'm not 100% sure I understand how or why this would work, but I don't mind giving it a try. Are you saying that adding an elbow and a small piece of pipe at the end of the return pipes inside the sump will solve this ?

Doing this means that I need to make new return pipes anyway, so should I drill holes instead of slots to keep the pipes from emptying quicker than they drain?

Thanks !

-Tony

Not an elbow a "T" Here is an image of what I'm talking about.

This is the drain line giong into my refugium. I have the water draining below the water line and to eliminate the gurgling sound I added a "T" at the end of the line. The pipe going straight up lets the air escape above the water line and eliminates any sound in the overflow box.
1011605smallgm7.jpg

OK -- I thought you meant INSIDE the sump, as in at the end of the lines that drip water on the tray. That makes more more sense !

Thanks !!

I'll give this a try.

Now I just need to isolate some of the vibrations I'm getting in the tank, altho, even if i move the pump off the bottom of the sump I can still hear them quite clearly.. I'm thinking about putting a matt underneath the entire sump... Also thinking about using Ice-Guard (as a substitute for dynamat) on the walls of the stand....

-T

Here is a pic of my tank -- Dust is still settling
IMG_3337.JPG_595.jpg

Back
Top Bottom