Crazy LFS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been exploring LFS online and calling them asking how much they will take for young 3 mth old Dalmatian Mollies.
One store left me laughing in disbelief... $1-2 for 25 mollies!!!
:-0

Have any of you had crazy fish selling stories?

IMO 1-2 dollars is a reasonable amount for a group of baby mollies. Most stores could easily breed their own mollies, and because they are so common their value is low. The same goes for platies, guppies, convicts, etc.

yeah all the stores around me buy fish dirt cheap and then hike prices by vast amounts. if you are not a regular breeder they treat you horribly. often i have to end up donating fish to stores when i dont want to collect certain species anymore. on another note st. louis the city i live in has lost almost all small buisness pet and fish stores. we have lost like five stores in two years leaving us with the chain stores petco and petsmart. the petco takes donated fish and resells them. just goes to show how cruel and over the top the market is now. good luck on your venture.

I'm trying Craigslist too...
I didn't have problems rehoming adult fish on Craigslist... Perhaps people don't want babies... Tho they are big enough to acclimate with adults just fine... Hmm...

bruinsbro1997 said:
All depends on the store. Around here the LFS take fish and give you half of what they sell them for.

Mollies here at LFS are $2.99 each... Is $1 each too much to ask?!
Pout pout! Haha :)

Hi my local fish shop will not pay anything for fish taken into the shop, especially live bearers:( I got a tank full of shrimps,which they sale at over £3.00 per shrimp and when i asked what i would get if i took some in i was told i may get a little credit:banghead: Best idea is to try and sell them privately. Good luck:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi my local fish shop will not pay anything for fish taken into the shop, especially live bearers:( I got a tank full of shrimps,which they sale at over £3.00 per shrimp and when i asked what i would get if i took some in i was told i may get a little credit:banghead: Best idea is to try and sell them privately. Good luck:)

Thank you :)

Your welcome(y) Good quality home bred fish are so much better than most fish shops so some one some where would be more than happy to buy them off of you(y)

stingrays4 said:
Your welcome(y) Good quality home bred fish are so much better than most fish shops so some one some where would be more than happy to buy them off of you(y)

I posted them on here too... But without knowing how to ship... I'm limited to LA county and Disneyland area...

Hi shipping is expensive,but doable:) you need a polystyrene box and simply put the fish in bags and fill the empty space with bags just full of air {this stops them rolling around} and put on the box that live fish are inside then they should be ok:)

I am not suprised how little the store offers. I think mollys are pretty common and simple fish so fish stores are not always interested :( breed electric blue rams and then you will make some dough :)

stingrays4 said:
Hi shipping is expensive,but doable:) you need a polystyrene box and simply put the fish in bags and fill the empty space with bags just full of air {this stops them rolling around} and put on the box that live fish are inside then they should be ok:)

I still don't understand how they can live in a bag for a day it two... I worry about the stress the 20 min ride home in the car...

Back
Top Bottom