How my wife views me as a fishkeeper (funny)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought I'd post this as an actual funny dialog I recently went through with my wife and granddaughter...

Wife comes downstairs as I'm doing a water change on one of my tanks...

Wife: Why don't you get some pretty decorations for your fish, they look so sad.
Me: I don't want pretty stuff, I want a natural looking tank.
Wife: You don't even give them oxygen, there are no bubbles in your tanks, they look sad.
Me: Are you kidding, one tank alone has three canister filters!
Wife: Do you feed them? Look at them, they look hungry.
Me: What?! I feed them twice a day, besides they always beg for food.
Wife: You don't care about your fish.

Granddaughter comes over to visit and asks me why she has so much problems with her fish, she keeps cleaning the filter and changing the water adding chemicals and medicines but the fish keep dying?
I proceed to tell her to stay away from so many hyped chemicals and medicines and not to clean the filter, she looked puzzled and asks me, you mean you don't use carbon or medicines and you don't clean your filters?

Wife jumps in and says... He doesn't care about his fish.

I felt the need to share this and get some support... without my wife knowing of course :)

Oh man thats tough...

My husband tells me I spend too much time on the fish and that I keep their home nicer than I keep our house... lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I felt the need to share this and get some support... without my wife knowing of course :)
Yeah my GF keeps asking when am I going to have enough tanks, filters, lights, food, stock etc. I tried to explain that it's an actual recognised medical condition, with no known cure....haha

Im lucky though we have reptiles, 8 snakes and a bearded dragon and my husband has become very involved in their care so he totally gets the aquarium obsession.

My hubby rolls his eyes everytime he sees me setting up for water changes.... Secretly I think he does enjoy the fish, but he won't say it, he also thinks I should put as much time into the house as I do the tanks!!

Talk about timing! My gf went to her friends for the night, think she'll notice my new qt in the kitchen??? image-705717030.jpg
Ps.. She already thinks I'm crazy

My hubby rolls his eyes everytime he sees me setting up for water changes.... Secretly I think he does enjoy the fish, but he won't say it, he also thinks I should put as much time into the house as I do the tanks!!

Nice to know im not the only one :) I think mine enjoys the fish too... just too stubborn to admit it. Lol.

Nice to know im not the only one :) I think mine enjoys the fish too... just too stubborn to admit it. Lol.

Men hey?? I have great plans to spend an afternoon having a few cold beers while messing around with my tanks, so I've just prepared lunch for him and the kids and cleaned the house for when he gets home so he won't have anything to complain about... Hehehe.... I may even just wash his car for him to and see what he thinks about getting another tank!! ;p

My friends and some family think I'm wasting money on tanks when bowls are cheap. They also don't understand that I like natural fish and no glofish.

Men hey?? I have great plans to spend an afternoon having a few cold beers while messing around with my tanks, so I've just prepared lunch for him and the kids and cleaned the house for when he gets home so he won't have anything to complain about... Hehehe.... I may even just wash his car for him to and see what he thinks about getting another tank!! ;p

Haha that totally would not happen in my house. We both work the same amount of hours but his hobby is sitting in front of the TV... (lol kidding) actually shocked me sending me a message when I was at work saying he did "tank maintenance". I was thinking "omg he didnt touch my tanks!".... he was referring to the snakes thank goodness! Filling water bowls, scooping and changing aspen, etc. I'm actually thrilled he has become very enthusiastic with the reptiles we only had two snakes a couple years ago and now hes bought several more, we are up to eight and he's really getting into field herping. It's only a matter of time before he gets sucked into aquaria (evil laugh mwuahahaha).

Oh ans I also set up random QT tanks throughout the house. The bar in between the kitchen and living room works great.

EDIT- hubby just informed me he wants a house with a bigger yard so we can get a tortoise and build it a pen.... I said as long as I can get a couple more tanks....

I love snakes :)

I often see them on my bike ride. I watch out for them so as to not squish them - they like sleeping on the gravel path.

Talk about timing! My gf went to her friends for the night, think she'll notice my new qt in the kitchen???
Ps.. She already thinks I'm crazy

That's hilarious Haha! I love fish keeping and my wife knows that. I tell her if she ever makes me quit my fish hobby ill make her clean the house :) she gladly let's me keep my fish but I do hear a "you pay more attention to the tanks then me" so jump up and say yes I do! The tanks don't talk back! No I'm kidding, I do love my wife :)

Back
Top Bottom