Interesting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said. There seems to always be a flavor of the month in this hobby. In the end everyone needs to do what is best for then. Most importantly, they need to have a tank that matches their dedication to the hobby.

Wow I totally agree with this. Lol my personal thought to keeping a reef tank is this... Good light, good flow, liverock to keep bacteria, and a fuge for macro algae. Everything else is just extra. I think it all has to do with how often you pay attention to your tank and how dedicated you are. If you are kinda eh about it all your tank will be eh.. If your excited and willing to do whatever it takes you tank will be amazing.

Lol... My husband and I had this exact discussion just yesterday. Thanks for posting this. It really isn't as hard as everyone would make it out to be. The author is absolutely right. It's like snake oil salesmen.. There is an expert on every corner with a theory to sell. And unfortunately this hobby offers all of the avid listeners one could ever dream of to soak it all in. People come into this hobby and see all of the contradictory information that people throw out there because "this is what I do, therefore it must be right". And they are confused. They want a straightforward and linear list of "how to run reef aquarium" and get frustrated when they find it just doesn't exist. When we bought our aquarium, we did so after spending over 2 years just discussing and researching. And we only came to one solid conclusion. No "expert" knows everything.
The best advise anyone can give is this.... Decide what you want from your tank. There are no right or wrong answers. If you want a tank that is easy to take care of, then build that. If you want an elaborate reef tank that is cutting edge technology and fills your basement, then by all means work toward that. But along the way... Watch your tank. Get to know it. Take in what information is out there and then make your decisions based on what works best for you in your own aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom