Stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was talking to me girlfriend and I asked why do fish not have eyelids? Plus was wondering do fish sleep? I don't ever see them doing it.
I know it's a stupid question but just thought I would ask hahaha

Well, we blink to keep our eyes moist but fish live in the water so they don't need to blink. Therefore, they don't need eyelids.

Dont think fish have eyelids simply because the have no use for them, they live in water so in a sense they are constantly lubricated lol and they sleep I think I seen em sleep, some rarther still on the bottom of the tank or in dark places of the tank still.

Correct on why fish don't have eyelids. I've read before that fish don't actually "sleep", but do have Resting periods, which is mostly just like sleep. I think this is basically like they turn their minds off but their basic instincts are still running. That's my very basic understanding of it anyway

I came home from vacation a few months ago at about 4 am. I flicked on my lights and every single fish was laying on their side on the bottom. Thought they were dead lol but they were just sleeping. So fish do sleep or rest whatever you wanna call it

some fish (i know for sure plecos do) roll their whole eyeball down if you have a pleco watch their eyes they do it about once a minute

I'm pretty sure they do have that "resting" period that zimmanski mentioned. I'm usually up late and around 3 or 4a.m. I see my mollies just being still on the substrate. I thought they were dead the first time and tapped the glass. It startled them and they kinda flipped out for a second. They reacted just as a person was if he was scared awake.

owen0992 said:
I'm pretty sure they do have that "resting" period that zimmanski mentioned. I'm usually up late and around 3 or 4a.m. I see my mollies just being still on the substrate. I thought they were dead the first time and tapped the glass. It startled them and they kinda flipped out for a second. They reacted just as a person was if he was scared awake.

Yep, I've always seen my guppys on their bellies on the sand, freaked me out too the fist time. And I don't think you can actually say our corys blink, if we were to get technical, you need eye lids to blink. I think these bottom feeders are equipped with eyes that can move downward mor than most because they need to see what's under them, but yes It does look like blinking and I think it's pretty cool haha

Every morning I find my black ghost knife like this haha :) pretty scary the first time you see it

Forgot to attach the picture

Attachments

• image-3184486168.jpg
    image-3184486168.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 103
abrinn23 said:
Every morning I find my black ghost knife like this haha :) pretty scary the first time you see it

Weird he should be active at night, they are nocturnal. Mine is always out at night and active.

I know I don't understand it. Hes always active before I go to bed but when I wake up and turn the lights on he's asleep

abrinn23 said:
I know I don't understand it. Hes always active before I go to bed but when I wake up and turn the lights on he's asleep

Lol mine is chill all day and he only comes out at night unless I'm feeding blood worms during the day.

Back
Top Bottom