100 Gal planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumper_65590

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I recently purchased a 100 Gal Oceanic that had bad seams for 35.00. Anyway, I have disassembled and resealed it and I am currently tetting it set with water to make sure it doesn't leak. So far so good. I am wanting to plant this aquarium, and I plan on stocking it with guppies (easy care, and kids like how much they move around). I have been researching different substrates, filtering systems, lighting, and all for a while. When I set this tank I want it to flurish hopefully. Anyway, I have a number of questions.
1) what type of substrate should I use? I have been considering either sand or dirt, but I have to haul my water about 20 miles, so dirt may be unfeasable because of the amount of water changes at first. (Our City water is horrible for fish, to much chlorine and chlorimines.) I am using well water from my Dad's well and my current tanks are doing much better.
2) I have T-8 style bulb fixtures. What would be good lighting for the tank? It is around 24 inched deep (can't remember at the moment)
3) Filtration. I don't have the room to set up a sump system at this time, so I was thinking of making/buying a canister filter. I was also thinking of drilling this tank, unless someone tells me it is tempered glass. All I know is the glass is very thick. If I drill it, how far up from the bottom and in from the sides should I drill? I was thinking of drilling it close to the corners on each end, and placing my intake on one side and output on the other, so that it would cycle the water good. Also, from my research, I believe that the tank's water needs to cycle at least 3-5 times an hour. Is this correct?
I'm not looking for a jungle in the tank, and I know I will have to trim, etc, but I would like a well balanced tank that will hopefully thrive and the fish will enjoy.
4) how many guppies will this tank support? I know to start slow, only putting 5-7 in it at a time, and going a week or 3 between stockings. I am getting both male and female, so I believe I will have offspring as well (almost a given, lol) but I don't want to overstock it at first.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading the replies and showing it off once I have it ready to go.

Hello?

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? I am planning on getting the substrate for this tank this weekend, and get the initial setup done and hope to start cycling it. For now I think I am going to buy a canister instead of building it, but I would like some recommendations before I get into it please. I have came to the conclusion that this will be a low light tank, at least till I can update the lighting in the future.

How much money are you willing to spend? What type of plants do you want to plant?

I am figuring on low light plants for now. As far as substrates, I have been looking at sand and or dirt for the substrate. I have gravel in my 50 gallon, but I don't like the way it looks. I am wanting a more natural look in the 100 gallon. I also have some nice oak driftwood that I have collected that I am am going to use in the tank to give it some depth and all. I was figuring on around 50-100 for substrate, then plants will just depend on what is suggested for the tank and substrate, then go from there.

Okay so the plants will need to have a nutritious base. You could do some Organic Potting Soil capped off with some sand. or u could do all sand and stick some root tabs right under where u plant the plants. As of lighting, I would go for 1 watt/gallon or a little more. it's a deep tank so it will need to be high lighting. For plants, some good low light ones would be Anubius, Java fern, Crypts, and maybe some water sprite. For best results you should dose some Excel. I strongly recommend this because the lighting will low and everyone wants to see their plants grow.

About your drift wood. I've never heard of using oak as some drift wood. I would look into some Malaysian or Mopani driftwood. You will need to cure it too.

One last thing, how long is the tank?

Following! :D A tank only for guppies! I love guppies. (If my name didn't give that away... lol) But yeah, definitely following. So, I would go dirt, but you could also do a commercial plant substrate like Fluval Stratum, Flora Max, AquaSoil, ... eco-complete is a really good one, but it looks like gravel which you do not like. I use Fluval Stratum in my 60g (link is in my signature if you would like to check it out!) I wish I did go dirt though. As Sam said, the Organic Potting Soil (NOT MIX!) Would be best, and if you like the sand look you can cap it with sand. I personally would not go all sand since the plants wouldnt get much nutritional value and you would have to keep putting in those root tabs...for low lighting, 1wpg is a good start, maybe 2wpg. If you like LED's, Finnex FugeRay is a really good one, but I am not sure how many you would have to get on a 100g! How heavily are you wanting to plant this tank? all live plants or just a few live ones here and there? I use pressurized CO2 on my tank, but for you I wouldnt recommend it since it is such low light, so a good CO2 supplement such as Excel or glut would work wonderfully. I too have never seen oak used in the tank, may want to try it out! Not sure if its safe, though, maybe worth a google :) Oh man, for a 100g tank I would pour guppies in there LOL but not too much, once you cycle it and all I say about 30 to start with. As you said, not too much at once because of that bioload. For filtration, I use an AquaTop CF-500UV on my 60, and it is awesome!! Never had cloudy water EVER since I put it on. It is supposed to be rated up to 200 gallons...the Fluval FX-5 would be my next choice. Can't wait for pics!!

I'm really leaning towards a dirted tank capped with sand, I think that will give it a more natural look. As for using the oak driftwood, I actually got the idea from here: Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
As far as how heavily planted, I don't want it supper heavy, just a nice balance of plants to give it depth and to give the fish some natural cover, as well as being, in my opinion, nicer looking than silk plants, although I have seen some silk planted tanks that looked almost like they have real plants in them. I'm still researching filters. I would love to be able to do a sump with a refrigerum, but I just don't have the room at this time. Thank you all for your suggestions and keep em coming. As soon as I get it set up I will be posting picks. I hope to get started on it this weekend.

a sump and Refugium would be unnecessary. Id say a good canister filter such as a Fluval or Ehiem would suit your needs just fine. Guppies don't get too big so the bio load won't be too heavy. And the plants will remove alot of nitrate nitrites and all that junk.

so what size of filter? I think I am getting overload from reading about flow rates, customer reviews, and the like. It's making me crazy, lol. But on a side note, my daughter decided she wants a planted tank for her betta, lol

Into first canister filter was a Fluval. It was a great filter until the seal needed to be replaced, then it had problems with leaking. Even taking it in to someone to fix it did not last. So I replaced it with a cheaper Rena Filstar xR filter, and it works great! My unprofessional opinion is the design where the ring fits in is better on the Rena. As far as size, I've heard you just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If there are two that fit your tank size, err on the side of getting the bigger canister filter. So that's what I did both times.

I use an aquatop cf 400 on my 75g planted....all plants are low light as well...really pleased with the aquatop canister&would recommend it to anyone...the 500 model Dan mentioned should suit your needs very well...here's a pic of the 75g...my centerpiece fish is an electric blue jack dempsey..

ForumRunner_20130221_194707.jpg

Back
Top Bottom